Altered thermostat behaviour

Sometime last winter I noticed that my CH thermostat had changed its behaviour. Instead of being on for ~10 minutes and off for ~20, it would run the heating for ~40 seconds, then off for ~2 minutes. It was as if it somehow lost its hysteresis. Given that it's an all-electronic system (Drayton RTS1) I suppose it's possible that, e.g., an electrolytic capacitor has dried out (or leaked). Is this a common problem?

I'm not that worried as it seems that the RTS1 is still available cheaply and as it clips into the backing plate I'll not have to put screwdriver to connector, just plug new gubbins onto old plate. If I can get the old one out... It hangs on the upper-right corner; I suspect the old chap who used to live here, and was a bit less proficient at DIY than he seemed to think, put conduit over the wire after it was in place and didn't leave enough room to lift the body off its locating lugs. We'll see when I get a new one to compare.

There was a moment of panic when I apparently didn't get it plugged back in correctly after trying to prise it loose, and the thermostat didn't switch on at all. Fortunately a second attempt got it working again so I won't have to spend the next few days wrapped up warmly.

Reply to
Ivan D. Reid

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:36:51 +0000, Graham wrote in :

Hmm, interesting, I'll have to check if it's still short-changing. The most logical place for neutral to go o/c would be where the controller plugs into the backplate, and I broke and re-made that connection several times this afternoon.

OTOH, the manual talks about it being double-insulated and it needs to get a return path for the live current to power the electronics (and activate the relay).

It's all hypothesis until I fit a replacement.

as regards circuit information and mechanical details.

Reply to
Ivan D. Reid

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 17:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Ivan D. Reid

wrote in :

Solved now by the application of twenty of your British pounds and twelve new pence. There is a Plumb Centre down the other end of my road and they had one in stock (must be a real hardware store; they close Saturday afternoons and Sundays). The new gubbins didn't want to work with the old baseplate (I suspect it was fouling the door jamb and not fitting into place properly) so I gingerly removed all wires, swapped the baseplate and rewired. Back to 10 minutes on, 20 off now. I think the pump, etc., will have heaved a sigh of relief.

Reply to
Ivan D. Reid