Alpha combi boiler - DHW expansion tank?

I've got an Alpha CB25 combi boiler. Had a bit of hassle with it this morning (pressure in the heating system was down probably due to a leaky radiator which I'll have to find). In doing so I was reading the manual and noticed that it says if a water meter is fitted, a DHW expansion device needs to be fitted in the cold water supply line.

Having just had a water meter fitted, I guess I need to sort this - however, all the information I've found on sizing such a device has been based on a specific size of water heater tank - except an on- demand combi boiler doesn't have such a tank as such.

Does anyone have any information as to whether such a device is indeed required for a combi boiler (the diagram that mentions it seems to show a traditional system with a header tank rather than a combi boiler, despite being in the manual for a combi), and if so how I determine the correct size of tank? Also, does it have to be fitted near the boiler or can it go anywhere in the cold supply after the meter?

Thanks

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

In true usenet tradition - i'll not answer your question but....

This could be related to the electricity meter requirement that it must not be made to run backwards. I've just discovered this rule/law(?) as I just had a solar electricity system fitted. It could be that there is a similar rule for water meters. If your water board did not ask if you had a combi boiler than I would leave well alone. I only discovered the electricity rule as the form I had to fill in for the leccy board, asked the specific question. As it happens my digital meter cannot run backwards so it is not an issue.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I believe it is - and it's got around by water meters generally having a non-return valve, which means that when you get a temperature change (caused by running the hot water) you get pressure building up in your cold supply, which can cause a burst pipe.

But any documentation I can find about this refers only to water heaters with a tank of some sort - not on-demand combi boilers.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

They're usually the little mini-expansion vessels sometimes used as surge arresters. I think Toolstation do one. They're only required for the sort of combi where domestic hot water is heated in the gas-to-water heat exchanger alongside primary water for the radiators, rather than combis with a secondary (usually plate) heat exchanger for DHW. I assume your Alpha is one of the former if it's telling you to do this in the manual.

Reply to
YAPH

This I guess?

They're only required for the sort

a diagram on page 6 that shows very clearly a secondary heat exchanger for hot water. Odd.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

place it's mentioned is the diagram on p11, nowhere in the text.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

that's the badger...

The mini expansion vessel should only be needed with the SY25, not the CB model.

Reply to
YAPH

That would seem to make sense to me.

Thanks