All these damn rules controlling every aspect of life!

When anyone can get jobs any time they want, theyre not competing for those jobs, and standards fall and fall. Too many British workers are far too lazy for my liking.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

When no-one can get the job they want they take whatever comes and don't do themselves justice. their lazy bosses think that because they are getting work for practically nothing they're doing well whilst in fact the whole system is working way below potential. Your 'liking' makes for a sick society.

Reply to
John Cartmell

What you failed to address was the misery of the people forced to live there.

You are deluding yourself. Non-regulation does *not* mean very basic. Non-regulation means illness and poverty and debt. Do tell me how many kids you brought up under your steel roof, how far you could tust the water that was supplied, how much it cost to heat the room, and how you dealt with the black mould.

They are, By strict regulation. If you're suggesting that companies are much more benign today you are seriously unhinged.

Reply to
John Cartmell

If you don't appreciate that there are different sorts of unemployment then you realy need to go away and do some background reading before you start discussing the matter. If you don't understand about the unemployment you cannot begin to tackle the problem. You will always have frictional unemployment - the gaps between jobs - and seasonal unemployment, though it's possible to reduce both. Structural unemployment (vacancies match unemploed but in the wrong skills) demands re-training and demand-deficient unemployment needs a new government. The last is what we had throughout most of the Thatcher era.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Bertie, yes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bertie, Cherie Blair (nee Booth) is the daughter of Anthony Both the actor, of Till Death Us Do Part, the Scarce Git. He ancestor was Wilkes-Booth from Liverpool, who assassinated Abe Lincoln.

So the British Prime Minister is indirectly related to the murderer of an American president.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The great thing about the latter part of the Victorian era was that they introduced standards. Hygiene, water, housing, building control, engineering (screw threads etc). Because of what they saw in the early part of the 1800s, they changed matters. This has been going on even to today. Some, like planning went too far and is a classic case of regulation to suppress.

A free for all creates poverty and greed. The free market has it place, but only when inside a framework that works for all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Very scarce. Like your brain cells.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think someone mentioned informed decisions. But you only get such decisions if you have the information - and companies will often want to hide information that's of potential use to their customers. You have to have the right balance.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Richard, you didn't understand did you. Sad to see such senility.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So history is repeating itself......

Reply to
andy hall

Very indirect indeed, as Anthony Booth is not a direct descendant of John Wilkes Booth. John would be Cheries great-great-great-grand uncle. So he can't have been an ancestor of the "Scouse Git".

Though what that has to do with the greedy conniving cows lips (either oral or piss-related) I don't know.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

[ re '78 - '79 winter ]

To right, people *were* loosing their jobs (or at least being laid off) due to a shortage of raw materials because the transport unions came out in strike...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

(funny that,

So you admit that there were strikes and layoff's then...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I already said basic standards would be in place to ensure safety and functionality. I already said I lived in a shack and experienced no such illness or misery. Its a bogeyman.

snip the sillies.

it means a wider range, more basic, and more quality. More basic because those that want to cut spending are free to do it, and more quality because those with more money neednt waste it on the artificial price increases inherent in todays system.

How does cheaper housing cause debt exactly? How does fit housing cause illness exactly?

none. It was quite fit for my purpose at the time, but would not suit everyone.

no problem there

trying to remember, was very cheap, it was paraffin

there was none, it had adequate ventilation

yes... but we have gone far beyond that today.

Youre not entirely following this.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This man is making remarkable sense today.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , Doctor Drivel writes

whoosh...

Reply to
David

,

promised much

advantage and

That is the point, companies / countries can only pay what they can afford, and when they are paying ten people to do one mans work.... The problems started in '74, when Wilson gave the miners what they were demanding, every union then played catch-up...

But the problem was with manning levels, ten people doing one persons job, if anyone was to blame it was the unions - trying to keep their members - the more members they had the more cough they had within the TUC and at the pay bargaining table.

It could have been done

down in order

If that was the only problem you might well be correct, but if the house is in such a bad state of repair it's sometimes quicker and better to just demolish and rebuild. What ever you did with it, renovate and modernise or demolish and rebuild, you are going to 're house' the occupant in the mean-time.

Couldn't agree more, but we have changed from industry to hospitals, the last 25 years has not been good for the hospitals at all - to many non medical staff trying to run them, and it's still going on under a 'Labour' government!

particularly

them a useful

So, north sea oil reserves should have been used to keep people in non existent jobs, or making things that people didn't want or wouldn't buy due to cost? Yes, I can see benefits in doing that, keeps people happy, keeps people off the streets and keeps union membership high no doubt...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Indeed, but the people always had the choice to go private - NOT...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

fraudulent, I know

...and I *totally* agree with all you have said in your above message!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::