Alkaline batteries still working fine in the cold

Is it just rechargeables (Nicd and NiMH) that aren't supposed to like cold temperatures?

We have a WH1090 weather station in the garden, powered by two AA alkalines ( Costco /Kirklands ie nothing special) , and it worked fine at the lowest we've seen so far; -11.4C.

According to the specs it can go down to -40 but I don't think any batteries would like that.

Reply to
Reentrant

Probably fine in a low drain device but I know of divers who have had problems with alkalines in high drain devices (like big torches) in cold waters.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

We too have some external wireless thermometers - they have always worked so far as I am aware. But if the batteries are towards the old end, the cold weather might force replacement.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium are supposed to operate down to -40.[1]

[1] Please don't point out that I have not put C or F after that. :-)
Reply to
Rod

Batterues don't just stop working at a certian temp - the internal resistance goes up, so higher-load devices will notice problems long before light-load things like weather stations.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Well, it is unlikely to be Kelvin, but it could be R=E9aumur, Rankine, R=F8mer, Newton, or Delisle.

-40=B0C =3D -40=B0F =3D 233.15 K =3D -32=B0R=E9 =3D 419.67=B0Ra =3D -28.5= =B0R=F8 =3D -13.2=B0N =3D

-210=B0De

Sid

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

=B0R=F8 =3D -13.2=B0N =3D

Sorry, make that +210=B0De

Sid.

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

.5=B0R=F8 =3D -13.2=B0N =3D

And -13.5=B0R=F8 - teaches me to try and do it all in my head. I'm out of practice.

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

Reentrant pretended :

As have I and mine is still on its original cells. I think it is current delivery (rather than voltage) which mostly affected by the cold weather and these do not draw very much current.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My CH programmer was lying in the living room today while the windows were out as I was getting new windows fitted and when i eventually found as they were clearing up the LO warning message was showing ( room temp 5 deg C) but as it warmed up it went back to normal..The 2 batteries are Energizer Lithium AA's

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

OK! I give in.

Reply to
Rod

In article , Sidney Endon-Lee writes

Thanks for that. I inherited a dual- display wall thermometer some years ago which is calibrated in centigrade and Réaumur. Always wondered what that was about.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson