Aldis Bench Drill

how the hell can they set up machines to make the mouldings for the parts for this,pay the workers wage,pack it and then distribute it overseas and still make a profit?

The darn thing is the weight of two sidewalk flagstones. All bleeding steel construction.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yup, I see - you've bought one home and unpacked it! Same question crossed my mind as well!

Yes! And a very useful drill it makes too....

Reply to
Adrian C

For 30GBP its a damn good bargain.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Clever use of their buying power?

Reply to
John

Those Aldi Oompa Loompa's can't be paid much.

Reply to
xscope

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The3rd Earl Of Derby" saying something like:

Cheap Chinese Shit Tools, Shanghai.

Where the workers are paid next to bugger all in our terms, but the way they see it, they're earning ok wedge and it's still better than being up to their arses in rice paddies all day long.

Now you know what happened to your last scrapped car.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmmm! I doubt it Powercraft being German.

Wasn't it yours?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The3rd Earl Of Derby" saying something like:

What's in a name? Many machinery companies are sourcing the stuff they used to make from China nowadays.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Doesn't mean they're made there.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh yes it does.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:23:13 +0100, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote (in article ):

This is an Austrian company.

Where does it say that the products are actually manufactured there?

If you don't speak German, select "Das Unternehmen" (the enterprise) tab and drop it into the Google translator.

They do not claim to actually manufacturer in Austria, and clearly at the prices under discussion, this is not happening.

Italy is a lower cost machine tool manufacturing area than Austria and parts of eastern Europe lower than that. Price points of products from these countries is certainly higher.

They may have a warehousing operation in Austria. Manufacturing? A very long way further east.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King

the goods are actually manufactured in East Europe because it's close to Salzburg was most amusing.

BTW, Salzburg isn't in Germany, HTH.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It looks awfully similar to my B&Q cheapy (39.95) bought many years ago. As do all these price drills no matter how they're badged.

The pic shows it with a left hand feed handle. Is that just the the pic reversed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:24:36 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote (in article ):

Probably. Aldi seem to get most of the product descriptions arse-about-face (unless they are about bananas, of course, and even they are marginal), so pictures are likely to suffer the same fate.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It doesn't really matter as that isn't a picture of the Aldi drill anyway.

Reply to
dennis

Difference being 10GBP cheaper and a 500w motor on the Aldi one.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You bought one Dennis?

It is the same one but Aldi's thurs buy was a newer model.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yes.

The Aldi one has a different table without the rack and pinion. I also think its smaller. It will be fine for my occasional bit of drilling and significantly better than using a battery drill by hand.

Reply to
dennis

and Makita included. People who whinge about Chinese production quality really should instead complain about the "big name" manufacturers who foist high-priced Chinese tools on us under their names, with no cut in price, and "cheapies" who foist crap on us due to low specified production standards. Occasionally we get cheap-but-good, or cheap-but OK. Sometimes discount supermarkets purvey these latter two items.

Reply to
Chris Bacon