Aldi toy - did anyone get one ?

Just wondering what the night vision goggles are like - is the illuminator visible etc ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Ever thought of making one of those night vision cameras yourself?

Reply to
George

Nope, I wouldn't know where to start...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Objective lens to focus image on image intensifier tube. HV supply to power image intensifier tube. Lens to view image. Easy, in principle.

Reply to
dennis

I'd hazard a guess that in this instance at least, it would be cheaper to just buy one :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Not a good idea to have an HV supply an inch from your eye if you don't know how to do it

Reply to
Chewbacca

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Digital camera / camcorder. Pry off the IR blocking filter, get an IR filter for a big torch like a clulite, and bingo, you've got a nightvision camera setup. Could be done with a very cheap camera and a car headlamp running a

100W bulb from a car battery for naff all. IR filters are about £20 from Anchor Supplies...
Reply to
Doki

Thanks for the tips, but I suspect a car battery would be a tad too=20 heavy to go fox / owl hunting around the local park :-} (we got within=20 about 8 feet of a tawny a few weeks ago - my wife spotted it, but by=20 the time my eyes had adjusted to the gloom it flew off)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , "dennis@home" writes

It's just finding and buying the image intensifier that's the hard bit then. Oooh, hang on, Aldi were selling a complete night vision thingy, you could buy one of them and strip it down for the tube...

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I was walking past an ALDI this morning, so I thought I'd have a look at them. Couldn't see them so I asked. Apparently they all went on the first day.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All the local scrotes will have them, so they can see when houses are empty...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The Aldi device wasn't IR night vision, it was an image intensifier I think. A wholly different type and no IR light that can be detected.

I didn't buy one either.

Reply to
Onetap

I always rather wanted one, right back to being a teenager when I used to see adverts for them from the likes of J Bull Electrical. Those were army surpless ones. Could never afford them at the time on my pocket money.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Lots of former Soviet-made ones came on the market at the time the Cold War ended (early 1990s).

Reply to
Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Still available on German ebay - search for 'Nachtsichtgeräte', the Cyclop M-1 /H3T-1 being a particular favourite of the border guards.

Here's one...

here's an adaptor for M42, allowing a pic to be taken of the escaper, just before you shoot him...
got one of each last year for not much money. The image is viewable, but what you'd expect from an 80s design. Iow, ok for spotting border jumpers and not much else.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Here's a clue: If it has a built-in illuminator, it's not an image intensifier, it's just yet another cheap 1st gen IR-sensitive converter. You'll get just as good results (if not better) with many video cameras (possibly needing to remove a filter first).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

One of these...