ALDI router and table.

Current 'specials' at ALDI.

Table:

anyone have any experience with these items for occasional use? I have seen the postings from 2007 and wondered if anybody had anything else to contribute about the items.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
David Paste

Why would I want a 1200W router that bulky, if it only has a 1/4" collet?

If you do buy it, either throw the 6mm collet (and any bits) away, or else tape it into a sealed bag. Too many accidentally dropped cutters if they're used by accident with a 1/4" shank.

The router table is far too small for general use. It's useless as a way to handle large sheets for edge work. OTOH, if you're short of space and mostly want it for making mouldings out of strip, then it could be just the job. The fingerboards are quite well done. It needs to be screwed or clamped down, as it's too light otherwise. I have no idea what the mitre gauge is for and it's unsafe to use a table like this without first making a couple of push blocks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I dunno, 'cos you're kinky like that?

OK cheers, sounds like I'll avoid it.

Thanks.

Reply to
David Paste

I think my other reply to this went west, so I'll just say cheers again.

Reply to
David Paste

ago. It went unused to a jumble sale.

In its place I bought a more robust one from

that still requires clamping or bolting to a decent sturdy bench or table.

OTOH if you have the time it is relatively easy to make your own, though you might find constructing one easier if you have a router to hand ;-)

old. I find that far more manageable for light weight & free hand use (where the work stays still in a vice and the router moves) than my tough de walt with 12.5mm collet . The big router can have a mind of its own off a router table.

HTH

Reply to
jim

bit of previous here IIRC!)

Secondly 1200W and 1/4" is a bit small for table use.

16,000 rpm would be a bit high for some larger cutters, however that is a moot point since they won't fit the collet, and if they did it would not have the power to turn them, or table clearance to fit through!

Other than that, its going to be hard to say without actually handling the router and seeing how good the plunge is, and how much wobble there is on the plunge. (answers need to be "very" and "none" to make it even worth considering).

Other points:

The fence has no micro adjuster (not good for freehand work);

The height has no easily accessible screw height adjuster (so again not a good choice for inverted use in a table);

Check to see if it has a locking power switch (or a way of making it easily locking), if not again no use in a table.

Reply to
John Rumm