Aldi Power Craft tools, eg: Circular Saw

Which cheap circular saw? Going to need it about 6 times over next 2 weeks, then probably twice a year max after that.

W/C 22nd Sept, Aldi are doing a Power Craft circular saw with laser guide for £24.99

there's this "re-engineered" one from Langwells for £15.99:
cheapest "proper" one I can find is £22.33+P&P from Hunter Tools
a cordless one for £19.97 from Maplin
Aldi one has a 3 year guarantee, which is what caught my attention. I mean, the amusingly named B&Q "Performance" saw is £19.97 with one year warranty, and in my experience, performance stuff seems to last until they come across anything tougher than damp kitchen paper.
anything against the Aldi one?

Reply to
Jonathan

I'm going to get one. It comes with two blades, which is useful. For another £8 you can but two more TCT blades. It's more powerful than the others, and has a slightly better depth of cut. I shouldn't think the "laser guide" is worth having, but you never know.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

> Or a cordless one for £19.97 from Maplin

> The Aldi one has a 3 year guarantee, which is what caught my

I bought the Lidl one for £19.99 last year and has proved its value for money because its still doing its job. A bit heavy and large like but it came with a fine&course blades plus a spare set of carbon brushes. As for Aldi I won't touch their power tools after the SDS drill they was selling a month or two ago.

Reply to
ben

All I can say is I had always bought Aldi's own brands like Tevion and Medion until the quality recently started to nosedive. I must admit to having 2nd thoughts (and 3rd and 4th) before buying now after taking back three quarters of the stuff I have bought there in the past 18 months. Their discs cdr and dvd+rw are not good now. I think they must have a different supplier with lower quality.

> Or a cordless one for £19.97 from Maplin

Reply to
Phil

The battery one sounds way to cheep, you will probably find a 30 second run time, and a 24 hour recharge time.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

you will probably find a 30

Quite good as battery tools go, then!

Reply to
Livewire

You need a Dwalt XRP tool, hours of user time, and a 1 hour recharge.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Is there really a decent cordless circular saw? My ancient but excellent B&D mains 10" one has a 1000 watt motor that runs at 10,000 rpm. Sounds difficult to do with cordless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a small Makita one with a 75mm blade. The blade is thin and is geared from the motor so doesn't spin fast but does have respectable torque.

For its purpose of trimming small and light things it's excellent.

I am unconvinced by the larger types intended to replace mains ones. ISTM that the performance/convenience trade off would only be there for things like roofing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sort-of.

24V 2Ah cells will do you 48 watt-hours of energy, or 1000 watts for about 3 mins. However. The '1000W' saw will only actually use 1000W when it sounds like it's struggling to cope. (based on power meter measurements of various tools). Unloaded, I'd expect 200W, and lightly loaded 500W. (measuered figures tomorrow if I remember and can be bothered)

Consider how many circular saw jobs are one or two second blips.

3 minutes/2 seconds = 90 cuts.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Since I've got a bench mounted compound mitre saw, I tend to use the circular saw for cutting sheets of things too large to use that for. So not one or two second blips.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thought I'd take a look, seems very sturdy. With a 3 year guarantee I'm not entirely sure how you could go that much wr>> So, anything against the Aldi one?

So based on 1 tool you won't go back? I bought a Medion PC from them; it's very good. But I gather the current model is rubbish. Next one might be fine. It's like me finding a sour grape in a bunch from Asda, and vowing never to buy fruit or veg from them again!

Reply to
Jonathan

Erm! a "Medion Computer", is not a power tool there is no comparison. Aldis Craft tools are atrocious. Went into Local Aldi yesterday to purchase two locks and the 99p paint brush set, there sitting behind one of the tills was 3 circular saws (returned) hows that for an item that has only been on sale since

15/09/2005.
Reply to
ben

Many of the Lidl and Aldi power tools are identical with the exception of badging and most likely from the same place anyway. I'd say you can't judge all power tools on the experience of one sds drill purchase.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

In that case, they were different circular saw than the ones I mentioned, which only went on sale yesterday.

Reply to
Jonathan

> products_id=2226

> 9

Wrong!

The circular saw was an "Einhell", from Lidl Baveria region

saw was a "Craft" Cant find who makes this crap.

Reply to
ben

not necessarily, some stores get them early and put them out before the offer date.

Reply to
Jackie Green

Some folk buy these with the intention of using them a couple of times and return them for a full refund, claiming the item to be faulty.

It is cheaper than hiring a tool for the day ;o)

I should know, about 20 years ago I was going to Blackpool for the week and my car stereo packed in on the day we were leaving. So I just got a car CD player for a weeks loan from that well known hire company Argos ;o)

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I have heard that, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry, Steven, but those 'some folk' really hack me off. I run a business and I've had a few customers like that. I've just had to bear it but made sure that I've never ever sold to them again. I don't know if it's the money or the fact that these people think they're being really clever by getting one over you. Either way they're very sad. I don't think they're any better than the people who steal fittings out of stuff in Wickes/B&Q.

Reply to
daddyfreddy