Aldi, Netto, Morrisons :-)

Andy Hall won't like this :-)

Netto & Morrison's beat top brands in blind test!!!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I read this - not in the Mirror of course.

I've always held that champagne is much more about marketing than whether or not the product is actually worth having - I am talking generically here.

This seems to reinforce that view, especially since it was from that most scientific of sources, Which?

I also read this definition of Political Correctness yesterday, which seemed to be saying the same thing:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority that is rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Reply to
Andy Hall

> Aldi, Netto & Morrison's beat top brands in blind test!!!

This revelation usually crops up around Christmas most years and Sainsbury's own frequently takes top place. However, these reviews rather miss the point that champagne is more about conspicuous consumption than about taste (in either sense of the word). There are better sparkling wines about if you want flavour and fizz.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I prefer Cava anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

>>> Aldi, Netto & Morrison's beat top brands in blind test!!!

I prefer Blanquette de Limoux over Champagne (and Limoux invented the champagne method). Unfortunately it's difficult to get in this country.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I prefer Corona with a slice of lime, or Stella,Guinness,Murphys,Caffreys,JS Smooth,Jack Dainels,Jim Beam,Wild Turkey a good bottle of chatau neuf, or ANY of the Islay Malts..................drool !!! :-) But you can keep the Champagne thanks.

Reply to
Staffbull

Ah, a man who tastes via his wallet. Cava is, without exception, vile.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"nightjar .uk.com>"

>>> Aldi, Netto & Morrison's beat top brands in blind test!!!

Is that how you think?

In my case it's about neither, we usually drink champagne to celebrate when we're by ourselves. The best is too good to share :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is how everyone I've ever known who bought the stuff appeared to think. Even when I could still drink, I didn't particularly like it - either Sainsbury's own or the samples offered for tasting in one of the Champagne region's better producer's caves - so I never bought any myself.

I would take that to be a tribute to the power of marketing, or possibly of tradition. If I wanted to toast something, I used to keep some rather nice St Emilion for the purpose.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

A barman once gave me a recipe for Champagne. It consisted of the cheapest white wine, soda water and another ingredient. It cost buttons to make and tasted like good champagne. It was used a lot at weddings where the profit margin was high - they just brought out the glasses on a silver tray for the guests. I made some and it was very good. I wrote it down but lost it

5 years ago.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Don't you think that the occasion, accompanying food, time and environment all play a part in one's perception of any wine?

LOL! Not in this house :-)

That's for drinking on other special occasions :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher