Aldi nail gun.

Possibly.

Part of their calculation is that people will have lost the receipt or won't be bothered to take the thing back anyway, or have the natural British reserve about creating a fuss.

These factors alone probably reduce the return rate by an order of magnitude

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nah. I have much bigger tasks at hand like exposing the National Lottery for what it is - a front organisation for the Inland Revenue.

There's a marketing organisation if ever there was one. Getting people to part with their money voluntarily to pay for things that should be funded commercially or if not viable that way out of taxation.

As it is, we have taxation for the gullible, and that really isn't fair on the gullible.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thing is, Frost are mainly mail order - apart from an outlet in Rochdale ;-) - so can't have the overheads of a high street - or close by - store.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's much better than that Andy: every day I get emails starting "since buying your product my love life has been transformed ..."

Unfortunately I can't tally the senders with my customer base

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Just to prove the exception to the rule :-), our small B&D circular saw caught fire suddenly last week. OK B&D isn't the best quality but not a cheap brand either. Luckily it was the spare one....

Reply to
Holly in France

That's not at all helpful ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What are you doing about that?

What's worse, it seems to me to be largely a tax on those with less disposable income than others - to fund things which are wanted by those with more disposable income than others.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I like it! Probably the most civilised and appropriate response I've seen in this thread for hours. Didn't know there was an ALDI in Camden Town.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Sorry Mary.

The reference was to perfection, and the suggestion that this was my modus operandi. I indicated that although one might aspire to it, achieving it would be a disappointment because then there is only one way to go.

Perfect is a word like unique. It either is or isn't.

Then there came the reference to the "Big Guy" (taken by many as the symbol of perfection) and the disappointment with mankind - originally meant to be perfect as well - the Crown of Creation.

The concept is similar to the idea of the frog crossing the pond from the lily leaf in the middle to the edge. He can jump as many times as he likes, but each time only half of the remaining distance from where he is to the edge.

The eternal question is whether or not he reaches the edge or if you like perfection ...... Either way, should he keep trying?

Reply to
Andy Hall

According to my accountant, the Inland Revenue passed redemption many years ago......

I know. That's why it's no different to any other form of taxation. It's simply that the Inland Revenue isn't quite as good as the Lottery at marketing.

Yet people line up in their droves in the supermarkets and petrol stations on Saturday afternoons, holding up people who want to buy something worthwhile like food or petrol, and hand over their money willingly.

I think I should set up in competition. I could give them a far better rate of return.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There isn't?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Thanks for the pointers, Andy - I'll have a close look next time I'm in the shed!

Cheers!

Reply to
Dave

Yup, but it wan not Andy that was looking ridiculous though...

For reference I have used a Cosmo 18g brad nailer that looks pretty much identical to the Aldi one pictured (except it is yellow), probably cost about the same as well. (Cosmo seems to be a budget brand that SIP use to badge engineer far east imports they are not prepared to stick their own name on)

Quality was nothing special. Safety was a hard one to call - it did not fall apart while in use. It did jam a few times, and after a few times had managed to erode a portion of the nail guide slot as a result of the jams. This I would expect in time to represent a safety hazard since a nail could either be misdirected, or cause significant lateral forces to be exerted should it "derail" the firing pin. It also does not have an exhaust port that you can direct. This poses increased safety risks to the user since there are times you will not be able to avoid getting the exhaust blast in your face.

The quality of the nailing was variable. Nail setting depth would vary with pressure, The firing pin (or blade in this case since it will also do type A staples) will mark the surface of the wood unless the pressure is spot on for the nail length, and wood hardness etc. So no practical use for finish nailing.

Reply to
John Rumm

It is quite good for eye catching (given tool in question, pun not intended!) headlines. You may not get anything else on that visit, but it could make you aware of a shop you had not visited before.

If you wish to test sales at the price point by running a trial for uk.d-i-y readers then let me know ;-)

(nice bit of software BTW)

Reply to
John Rumm

Same product (AFAICT) is offered at Makro for £50+VAT so Aldi aren't exactly giving them away.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm sure you are in many of them.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

"RedOnRed"

You mean craftsmen and artisans, rather more useful on a DIY group then the bunch of failed I.T. Prats, Victor Meldrew impersonators and wannabe rocket scientists that normally post here.

-- Dave

*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.
Reply to
Dave

Guess we should all be greatful you (being such a prolific and useful poster) are here to help rectify that then.

BTW, which Dave were you again, don't recall seeing many of your posts round these parts?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, see below.

Plasterboard is quite often used like this around here. We hadn't seen it before either but it does seem to work. It is layed on top of joists when one wants a ceiling downstairs rather than seeing the bottom of the boards above (in case of gaps appearing between boards if not T&Gd and also provides thermal insulation and minimal sound insulation) The plasterboard could be cut and set between the joists but that would be much more work. It doesn't have any structural function (other than possibly having rockwool etc sitting on it). The weight of the floor is taken on battens, usually fixed directly above the joists.

That was my mistake in saying green(ish) oak. I meant newish really, ie not

300 years old and hard as nails which is more usually found here. It would be better if I had these messages proof-read before sending them, but there is no chance of that so I will have to do my best :-) Beams and joists have been up over a year in well-ventilated conditions, any movement which was going to happen will have happened by now. We used the same timber from the same source, along with some cut from our woods and dried for a year in a shed first, in our gite, it's fine. We have also done some experiments to see how fast oak dries here, this timber will be dry enough.

Yes, I see what you mean. Don't know whether such a thing is available round here but we will investigate.

BTDT.

Yes, there are. As you said before, depends on the area involved. In this case it is quite large so a flooring nailer would be a better bet. Having seen various people working, I think it depends also on how skilled one is with a hammer.

Reply to
Holly in France