ALDI Electric File

I see that these are again on offer tomorrow for £30

Any comments? I have a feeling that someone (TMH?) had used something similar in the past and found it useful, but I can't quite remember.

The spec gives the speed in RPM. I assume that it reciprocates rather than rotates? If so, does the motor speed equate to strokes per minute?

Is it really a file (for use on metal) or just a sanding device for wood?

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , Roger Mills writes

One son borrowed one of these from the other son and used it to sand difficult spots underneath the boat. It doesn't reciprocate - just drives the belt round. It was OK, but we only used it on wood/epoxy. I don't know whether they do belts for metal.

The son got covered in antifouling dust, but he often does.

Reply to
Bill

Ah, so it's a belt sander with a very narrow belt? That isn't clear from ALDI's description although - to be fair - it *does* mention belts.

So does the RPM figure relate to revolutions (laps) of the whole belt - or just of the pulley which drives the belt?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've got one similar, but not Aldi. It is very useful for some things. Not a must have, though.

It is actually a small belt sander.

I've not tried it on metal. But should work with a suitable belt.

Say you'd done a cutout for a mortice lock which was a bit tight. A quick zip up and down with this would ease it - especially across the grain. That sort of thing. It's not something for dead accurate work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have the B&D version which looks the same.

Its a very narrow belt sander, belt around 1/2" wide & the 'bar' is about 1/2" thick. I've found it very useful for opening out mortices for locks, trimming up half lap joints etc.

It will work on either. Stock removal rate with a coarse belt is incredible.

Reply to
David Lang

You can also get one for compressed air which I have, useful tool.

Reply to
F Murtz

+1. Very, very useful. And yes, it does work on metal.
Reply to
GB

37

They have those plus the full size belt sanders. Do I get one or both?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Both. Obviously.

Reply to
David Lang

Very different tools. If I had to have only one, it would be the full sized one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

7-37

It pains me to say it, but I agree

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I see Amazon do a Ferm 400W electric file for about a fiver more than Aldi.

No idea if it's any good.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

_17-37

I've had a couple of Ferms in the past, and they've lasted fine, but have s een many reports on here of Ferms dying. So I reckon I'd rather go with Won kzone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr