Aldi compressor this Sunday

Odd - I thought I'd posted this earlier today.

Anyone bought one of these previously. Are they OK for typical amateur use (OK 'typical' is as like string length, I know - shall we say non-professional then)

robgraham

know - shall we

I'd treat the 9.5CFM with care. Air tool adverts tend to understate their needs, compressor adverts overstate their capabilities.

That aside the main disadvantage is that they are very noisy so if you intend to keep it outside you need deaf neighbours or to have them a long way away.

Reply to
Peter Parry

They`ve gone up a bit in last few years, used to be a ton with the accessories....

Very useful to have about, if you over do the duty cycle the cutoff switch melts.

let it cool down every so often , so spraying a whoe car probably be painful.

Air chisel is a lot lighter than SDS for tile ripping, air for drying and dusting is useful.

Paraffin gun with boiling water makes an effective small power washer.

won`t spray a car evenly but water based painting wood is much more fun than a roller.

even blow up the odd tyre ;-)

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Mine was £70 with the accessories.

Not on mine, maybe I haven't run it for long enough? It appears to have a continuously rated motor though.

The gravity feed sprayer works well on fences and sheds.

Reply to
dennis

know - shall we

I'd assume that you would need to arrange "filtering" to get rid of moisture and oil from the compressed air. Depending on what you're going to use it for...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thinking about it mine was less than a ton, it was few years ago, there was some compressor tax brought in at some point to stem flood of cheap Chinese imports.

Somoneleses , several hours of blow gun use, with motor running almost continuously.

Random orbit sander and cutoof tools are also heavy air consumers, both have good electric equivalents.

So much darn easier on uneven surfaces as well.

For proper spraying a line moisture trap oil filter is pretty cheap out of Machine mart.

Guess its earned its place in that if it broke it would get replaced as a priority.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

A decent LPHV sprayer is the economical solution to car or whatever spraying. A decent high pressure gun will cost more than the Aldi compressor. Which as you say hasn't the capacity anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not convinced by the Aldi compressor. A similar Sumo branded compressor was only useful for short periods of work. A Lidl Parkside compressor has been at work on our farm in the workshop and (occasionally) running air tools such as olive pickers and pneumatic secateurs. It has been fine for those purposes. On the downside it is noisy but given the quarter mile or so to the nearest neighbour that isn't a problem.

Reply to
Steve Firth

£20 in aldi ATM.
Reply to
dennis

Not as noisy as I was expecting. The only thing that nearly defeated me was how much pull was needed on the 'pull-up' ON switch. Seems to be fine otherwise and I now have lots of nice hard tyres.

Being in the 'elderly' bracket and thereby lacking as much lifting power of 10 years or so ago, I arrived at the shop with a sack barrow. Another customer was all for doing it manually, until he started to walk to the till, and then the barrow ended up with two machines and a stack of other boxes; really looked quite impressive.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Looks to be pretty much the 'zact same model that I bought last summer, and I've been very pleased with it. As others have said, it's a bit noisy, but hey, for that money, who cares ? It's actually very well made, and the book of words that came with it implies that just about every spare part is available for it as well. I wouldn't have any qualms about recommending it, based on my experience so far.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily