Aldi compressor ...

I don't recall stating that anyone was. I commented on the way that individuals leap to the defence of such shops. I can only conclude that the need to defend them comes from trying to preserve a feeling of self worth - the individuals concerned are trying to say they're not forced into buying cheap knock-offs of branded goods, they are making a lifestyle choice.

Well no, you're not really "saving" are you? You're just buying cheaper things and you're happy to eat a cheap substitute.

Guess what? You're wrong. Not only that, but what you say is a non-sequitur.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't have water in the lines of any significance but the quick connect fitting that is now leaking is the one on the outlet of the receiver manifold so no scope to fit a drier without significant modification with rigid pipe. The tank gets the water drained out regularly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think you will have to add water and oil removal traps before using this for paint spraying and the compressor capacity might be a bit low for painting any significant area with out breaks. Fitting a second receiver (big calor gas bottle?) will give you more spray/nailing time before it needs to pump up again but that will take longer. As a blow gun and general purpose source of air it is fine but you might be better off with a bigger compressor (second hand perhaps) for serious use.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You can pay at your PO using a debit card with no extra charge. Use a credit card and it will cost extra. Think this may well apply to some other PO services too - although I generally use cash when sending parcels, etc.

Can't remember when I last used a cheque. ;-)

More ordinary people shopping for the weekend, I'd guess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. Now we have it. You're influenced by advertising to the point where you *know* that only a well known brand is any good.

Supermarkets sell rather more things than food.

Oh - the vast majority of my food budget goes on things with no brands whatsoever. Like vegetables, fruit, meat, bakery etc. Not Findus and Heinz. ;-)

Bollocks. You have to actually do the shopping on a regular basis to experience the things you're on about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I shall bear that in mind when the VED becomes due.

One of my clients pays by cheque, right PITA it is too. Not only do they post the cheque right on the 30 day credit peiod there is then 4 days for the cheque to clear after I can get it to the bank. I sometimes wonder if they have done the maths on the cost of cheques v interest on money in their account... Over a crew of 25+ you are looking at around =A310,000 for each day they do, over say three or four units. That's a significant cash flow.

Late last year I've paid the scaffolder, the chap who serviced the oil boiler and the stone masons for the four large stone cills by cheque. All small/self employed business's. When cheques are phased out in a few years time how do I pay them? Actually for me it'll be internet banking but how about old Mrs Miggens who doesn't have internet banking or the internet or telephone banking and doesn't want them?

Pension

Well maybe but during the working day?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for that, Mike

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I was thinking about water and oil removal, but the only sort of spraying that I was considering at this point in time, was a rather large fence that runs down either side of my back garden, and I'm not going to get too bothered about a bit of oil getting into Wickes' sprayable garden fence preserver ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Indeed. I had one or two small clients who took for ever to pay. Made the good hourly rate they were offering rather less attractive in the end. But most of my regulars were good payers.

I dunno what it would cost for a small business to get the equipment needed for a debit card? But then there's always cash. Or electronic transfer, which I think you can do to anyone that could take a cheque. I do realise you are likely miles from a cash machine. ;-)

Well, not all wives work. And may do shifts if they do, or part time. And just like to go on a Friday like their mother and grandmother did? Can't think of any other reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are known as 'hard discounters'

"Aldi is the clear market leader in the hard-discount field, acting as a role model for competing chains from other countries. By 2009, the two leading discount chains, Aldi and Lidl, featured in the top 10 global grocery retailers, each grossing more than $60 billion".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ermm no, you're skiing off piste without ski poles, again. I'm trying to imagine why some people seem to think that a supermarket is closer to them than family.

What a bizarre comment. Where have I stated that my preference is for particular brands? O won't buy the no-names in the German supermarkets because I've tried some if them and they have been awful. That applies to a range of products including toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, jam, crisps, seafood and more.

Yes, and how does that square with your claim that I don't do the shopping?

Reply to
Steve Firth

You won't but if you had looked properly you would have found an abscence of signs with visa/mastcard etc logos on them indicating that they are accepted... No sign, not accepted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can think of one category of ... err ... business ... that will see a lot of cheques, and that's small sports clubs. Most of them will take the subs each year, and along with the renewal form this goes in the post as a cheque. They aren't going to have a website set up for internet banking (heck, many of them won't _have_ a website), so the alternative is to get everyone to bring in the cash. This will mean that at renewal time the treasure will have to be glued to the clubhouse, and there will be a lot of cash on the premises. Or the renewal form will go in the post, leaving the treasurer to look through the bank statement and try to tie each deposit to the renewal form.

Or most likely, a lot of people will find it too hard and not renew.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Lidl were the same, but just the last week they have starting accepting CCs. I also think Lidl quality has recently improved a little above that of Aldi.

Prices have also increased in both shops, no longer as good a bargain as they were.

Reply to
<me9

Charities and local political parties will be in the same boat. In fact any outfit that, as you imply above, is too small to be able to do direct debit or internet banking.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My average bill to a client is £137. About 40% pay by cheque.

Very often its a case of "where is the cheque book" followed by a search through various drawers.

I'm looking at various options at the moment. I could get a mobile card terminal but there is a rental fee as well as a transaction % fee.

Looked at 'Nochex' but that wouldn't suit old Mrs Miggins.

Cheques are a PITA because of the 4 working days to clear.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

For a bill over 100 quid, if you ask for cash or cheque like you do now, you'll get a cheque.

If you're prepared to go with direct bank transfer, make it clear, provide sort code + account number, and people like me will do it that way.

Doesn't help with Mrs Miggens though, and I guess a fair proportion of your clientele will be like that.

Reply to
Clive George

We find Lidl and Aldi very good for continental food things, SWMBO and I agreed the other day it was cheaper than having a deli on your doorstep :) And German food laws and labelling mean you know the imported stuff is good quality. So the brands are unfamiliar (and I know many are Lidl own-labels) but we usually do our family shop there. Though I think it does depend on the branch, the local one's veg used to be dire but is now normally fresh stuff now that their turnover has gone up.

The problem is in not buying too many DIY impulse purchases just cos you know it'll kuminandy one day ... at least (desperate search for on-topicness) uk.d-i-y is here to discuss them !

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Probably due to the 2% it costs to do a credit card transaction compared to the 20p charge for a debit card transaction.

Reply to
dennis

I find M&S food horrible. Even their low fat food has too much fat in for me to like.

Their fresh food is OK, but why pay the price when you can get the same elsewhere for a lot less.

I have no idea what Waitrose is like as I don't know where there is one.

Reply to
dennis