Aldi and Lidl sliding compound mitre saws

FYI Aldi and Lidl show SCMSs for ?80. Aldi's is on Thu 7 May and, perspicaciously (!), Lidl have theirs coming up three days before, on Mon 4 May.

They both use 210mm blades. Aldi's takes more power but that's about all I can say to distinguish them. Lidl mention some details but not the slide length, and the Aldi web site tells you even less than the Lidl one.

The Lidl one apparently comes with batteries. They should help it cut through about 0.5mm of balsa. Or maybe they are for the laser. ;-)

James

Reply to
James Harris

The normal problem with these is the poor dust collection. The Aldi may be a fraction better than Lidl.

Reply to
Capitol

What I like about my similar priced Evolution "second" is that it will also cut through dexion, or 1/8 inch aluminium. (Maybe these blades will too).

Reply to
newshound

I have seen such saws advertised to cut through metal including nails etc which could be handy. Any idea what makes a blade suitable for metal?

I saw that B&Q had a special offer on an Evolution compound mitre saw recently (the Fury 3B) for just ?38 but on checking it turned out that it was not a sliding one.

James

Reply to
James Harris

oduct-page-37/

I have a 300mm Bosch and its a dirty b*****d. Sawdust scattered about like snuff at a wake.

Reply to
fred

I built a dust collecting chute to enclose the cutting point of the

300mm sawblade. This works very well. As received it could scatter sawdust at least 8ft. I mentioned this on here about 5 months ago.
Reply to
Capitol

FYI Aldi and Lidl show SCMSs for £80. Aldi's is on Thu 7 May and,

I have owned an Aldi one for approx. 8 years. It hasn't had continuous use but did get a lot of use when I first bought it cutting 4x2s to construct the frame of my 24ft square workshop. I have cut through nails and screws with it not knowing they were there when working with used timber with no issue. The first time alarmed me but close inspection of the blade revealed no harm was done. Dust collection isn't brilliant unless connected to the workshop vacuumed which works well.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In article , James Harris writes

Observed limitations on both:

38mm max thickness on 45deg (45deg on 4x2" would be nicer, requiring a 250mm blade)

Shaping on back of guide suggests it is limited to a LH tilt on mitre and looks as though it wont go below 45deg without fouling.

Dust bag will be fairly hopeless but does mean that it has a port that you can bodge a workshop vac onto.

Overall:

A bit small but serviceable, larger would be a lot heavier.

Can't recommend an alternative however, my B&Q no-name will mitre to both sides and mitre 4x2 but the stop accuracy and marking is dismal.

Reply to
fred

It really depends what you want it for. I've had three of these sliding saws - each one bigger than the previous, purely because I found the smaller one too restrictive. But obviously, the cost goes up. Other thing is just how accurately will they do say a 90 degree chop. Cheaper ones generally won't be that good. I've ended up with a Makita with a 305mm blade. ;-)

I'm willing to bet anyone buying a small slider for the first time will soon be wishing it was bigger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to James Harris, West mids buyer wrote: Aldi saw: slide length 215 - max cut length 300, LED mains powered, has an adjustable depth stop if needed. Well written manual.

Reply to
West mids buyer