Alarm systems (Menvier)

Anyone familiar with the communications technology used between Menvier Remote LCD Keypads and their alarm panels? I am interetsed in using an off-the-shelf Keypad for a Homebrew Alarm system and these look like the sort of thing I need. I assume they use some form of serial comms rather than a whole bunch of wires between the units. I'd like to have an idea of the communictaions I need to interface to before I go off and aquire one.

Are the interfaces perhaps standard across Alarm systems or are they unique to each manufacturer? Perhaps they use standard protocols lie RS232 or I2C?

Any clues much Appreciate.

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Most are using RS232, but, saying that, manufacturers are embedding code into the comms to ID specific equipment. I suppose it keeps compatibility between their own gear, so other systems become useless if installed by the unsuspecting DIYer.

It might be a good idea to contact the makers tech' people, just to see if they'll help in getting you started on your own system using their equipment. Worth a try. I'd have thought. You may find something they already have on the shelf will be useful to you.

Reply to
BigWallop