Alarm site

One for bookmarking if you need help on secuirty alarms?

George

A good site, but slightly anti DIY.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

lol,then why do they have a DIY installation guide?

Reply to
George

I suggest you read the diy forums on there. A lot of the answers tend

towards the hostile when people start treading on "professional" installers

toes.

Go and ask where you can download an install manual for your alarm :)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Well that would provoke any alarm installer ie its fruitless asking that Q

because if devious tw*ts could get their hands manuals they would have a

field day.

ps you do get the odd plonker asking where to obtain a manual. ;-)

Reply to
George

Why plonker? It's a perfectly reasonable question for DIY. Are you

sure the moniker doesn't apply to you?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Do you have to be an arsole all the time or do you blame it on the midwife?

Reply to
George

Why? The security of an alarm system shouldn't rely one someone not

having the installation manual. After all, alarm installers have the

manuals, and they can't all be as honest as a Scandinavian summer day is

long.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Right. I take it then it's only pro alarm installers that manage to bypass

them in carrying out a burglary?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not the bell box, the main unit, which is why leaving it in plain view is

never a good idea.

I'm familiar with quite a few robberies of commercial and domestic units,

and I think the clever robber defeating the security is a Holywood myth.

An alarm is just a deterrent, every robbery I've seen has either been

opportunistic, inside job, or just plain brutal. Alarms helped in none of

them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Eh! the control panels internal sounder will reveal where its sited anyway

so it doesn't matter if its hidden or on full view.

Reply to
George

That's why proper installers use internal sounders that aren't located

at the panel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

So answer the question, if you can. Why is someone doing DIY & asking

for a manual a plonker?

At least my brains aren't in my arseole.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Exactly. My view of the purpose of a domestic alarm is damage limitation and

peace of mind. If there is someone in, it alerts us to anyone messing about.

If we're out, the noise will hopefully cause them to grab the low-hanging

fruit (replicable items) and bugger off before causing too much grief or

digging out the better secured valuables.

So the inbred guild of alarm installers can maintain a veil of secrecy over

the General Public that allows them to charge exorbitant prices. Real

example of what happened to a friends parents: 5000 to install a domestic

panel, bell box and two PIRs. Plus 300/year maintenance. Then claim it

would cost 500 to replace the battery (17 from B&Q, but without the secret

spell book not something you can DIY). I replaced the panel for less that

50 quid with one that could be maintained, and pointed out the couple of

quid a year they saved on the insurance by having an "approved" alarm wasn't

worth the 300 quid they were paying for the "approval".

Reply to
555

I'm surrounded by pro installed alarms. As probably are most. Many of

which go off for no reason. Or at least not set off by an intruder. My DIY

installed one has never given a false alarm. And when you look at the way

many 'pro' istallations are thrown into place with cables running under

carpets etc it's no surprise they give trouble. Like everything electrical

to do a neat and efficient installation is 99% building work rather than

specific knowledge of those systems. And why pay technician's rates for

skills you can probably better?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I picked a parcel up from a depot the other day and the notice on the wall

by the main door said something like "an internal security sounder operates

that may cause an intruder to lose control of their bowels".

Personally I would fit a Master Blaster.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Of course. But once set up and a personal code entered a decent one should

be hard to disable. Unless using a sledgehammer. Which you don't need a

manual for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,

ARWadsworth writes

The fat bloke from Mad Max or the sounder :-?

I think motor driven sounders with visible vanes are a bit susceptible

to the lolly stick attack and a bit expensive, I prefer well made moving

coil sounders internally with Elmdene ones from CPC being my current

favourite (very dinky, cost effective & painfully loud).

Reply to
fred

Hi

Having missed the start of this thread I can see many points of view but

this may help the original poster.

All the alarm manufacturers I am aware of have a web site where instruction

manuals are readily available for download.(just google the make

eg.ADE.TEXECOM )

If however you want an engineers programming manual they want you to

register with them or be an accredited installer.

Their excuse (if that's the right word) is that a non qualified engineer may

damage the equipment or themselves by being inexperienced in the panels

operation.

(IMO whilst having some validation is really a way of saying buy our stuff

and we will let you have the instructions)

On a lighter note there are at least 3 sites on the web that have the most

common alarm systems manuals available for free download.

HTH

CJ

Reply to
cj

Many of the older and diy installer manuals are on

ukpanels