Airlock in hot water pipes

After using a lot of hot water, the pipes have run dry. There was a gurgle and then a hiss like air being sucked in - then the hot water went off.
The hot tap works in the kitchen downstairs, it's just the bathroom taps that don't.
I left them alone for an hour or two then turned the sink tap on again. There was a weak flow of water then it went off. Same with the bath.
I don't have a hosepipe to try the trick of forcing water up from the kitchen cold tap, nor do I have any plumber's tools.
Any suggestions, other than call a plumber?
Could it be the tank in the loft has a stuck ball valve which isn't letting any water in? If you can get at it and have a look that might show something. If it is, then a little nudge might free it. but keep an eye on it to make sure it stops ! Check where your main stop tap is !! Perhaps the pipes etc. will fill up when you run a tap (and let the air out) hth Neil

Bill wrote:

Do you have a plumbed in washing machine? If so the hoses on this can be used to connect between hot and cold supply. Assuming you have a cold water tank in the loft with an overflowpipe, connect hot and cold, open washing machine valves ubtil overflow runs, then open hot taps one at a time until all flow. turn off machine machine valves. Job done - or should be!
Good luck
Bob
Bill wrote:

Since nobody else has mentioned it if you have a mixer on the bath then you simply hold your hand over the spout and turn both h&C on full and keep holding for about a minute. Release your hand turn off the cold and the hot should splutter to full flow.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk