Airlock ??

I need help please.

Fitted new boiler and everything is fitted correctly - however th boiler shuts down after only firing for a about 30 seconds. I believe this is due to an airlock in the boiler, which has been wal hung on the top floor above all the radiators. Do I need to fit an air release valve above the boiler (similar to bleed valve in a rad) or if I put a service valve below the fillin loop and force the water around the boiler first (but against th direction of the pump).

Any help in forcing air out of the system would be appreciated. This is sealed system with combi boiler.

Cheers

Mar

-- williamsmark

Reply to
williamsmark

Often the boiler has an automatic bleed valve built in. See if you can see what looks like a car/mountain bike dust cap sticking out near the top of the boiler (but not on the big red pressure vessel). If so, unscrew it. This should release the air. Remember to put it back in a week or two's time when all the air has gone.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I hope you sorted it (or you'll be a bit cold by now) - how did you manage it?

As it happens I've just experienced the same problem, with a vented system which I'd drained down to fit TRVs on the rads. Refilled it all but couldn't shift the airlock in the boiler for love nor money. The installer had fitted a drain c*ck just above the boiler inlet (the only one in the entire system) and I tried draining a bit from that (no joy) and eventually connected a hosepipe to it and blasted mains water in (probably a bad idea?!) all to no avail. Checked the boiler manual; no mention of any method of bleeding it, and nothing visible on the boiler itself.

I'd actually got as far as phoning a plumber when out of the blue, I noticed a gurgling noise coming from the boiler (long after I'd stopped fiddling around) and hey presto, I was then able to bleed a long blast of air off a rad upstairs, and the problem had gone. All by itself!

I'd love to know what how the plumber would have sorted it - at least I'd have known for the future.

David

Reply to
Lobster