Airing Cupboard

I'm nearing the end of my project to remodel an en-suite bathroom. Once it's done I'm going to demolish the main bathroom, airing cupboard and laundry (sensible place for a laundry IMO, the bathroom), and rebuild with the stud walls in different places. This means we will be without an airing cupboard for a while - with the the way I work, maybe a year.

In the en-suite there will be a floor to ceiling cupboard 450x450mm which I've designed (eventually to hold towels and loo rolls etc). The existing plastic pipes for the CH run behind it. I am thinking of making a coil radiator in the bottom of this cupboard (I have a lot of

8mm copper left from another project) feeding the coil with a TRV at the top of the cupboard, and return via a service valve. It'll only get heat when the zone is called in the adjoining bedroom, but in the winter that will be quite a bit.

Is there anything against me doing this? Anything I should consider?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

TheOldFellow wibbled on Sunday 20 December 2009 18:21

I can't see anything - sounds like a fine idea.

Reply to
Tim W

I did underfloor heating in a bathroom by using 10mm copper. It was fed via a TRV with head poking out of the bath panel. I used two parallel 10mm runs snaked up and down between the floor joists (thought resistance of one piece would limit the flow too much). Copper has a low emissivity, so you want to paint it to get more radiant heat - I just sprayed the top with a thin coat of black airosol, but it doesn't make much difference what colour providing it's not bare copper (or chrome). It worked really well.

With 8mm, I'd definitely do parallel runs (a sort of double screw thread. I used parallel end-feed manifolds to connect

down to bottom) with 22x15mm fitting reducer

Andrew Gabriel

(scroll down to bottom) with 22x15mm fitting reducer

Thanks, good thoughts. I was considering spot soldering the coil to a steel sheet bottom shelf, and spraying that matt black. The idea is that it will be a fluff trap otherwise. Under it will be a 60mm celotex slab to the floor. Twin coil definitely.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow