Air vents for central heating

I have some small so called bleed vent things on upright pipes in my loft .My heating pipes are in the loft. I was told they were auto air removers ,they are large egg cup size with a small plastic screw on top , how do these work (if at all) Regards E

Reply to
leveled

I guess you loosen the screw periodically and let any air out, like bleeding a rad?

Reply to
Steve Walker

There's a float inside the chamber which closes off the vent at the top when water gets into the chamber. If the dust cap's on tight it won't automatically bleed (but will stop water escaping if the float sticks)

Reply to
John Stumbles

So how should I manage these ? make sure they are all loose (the plastic screw) ??

Reply to
leveled

When you're in the vicinity, loosen the cap. If they're working properly AND there's air in the system, there'll be a "hisssssssssssssssssssss, thump" as air leaks out and the valve closes. Probably best to turn the pump off before doing this.

Leave the caps screwed down normally 'cos they're not 100% reliable & are probe to leak water all over. A good system shouldn't collect any air in normal operation, so the ususal practice is to leave the cap open for a week (after refilling) or so until all air is removed, and then close them. If they're in the loft, ensure they're insulated over to avoid freezing & splitting them (and everything else besides).

Reply to
Aidan