Air Lock in cold 'rising main'

I've had a Google in here, and from previous postings it would seem impossible ?!

The kitchen cold tap coughs and spits, not always, but about a third of the time it's used. I also hear similar noises coming from the loft tank feed pipe where it passes through the airing cupboard, but this is rare.

My water supply comes from the stop c*ck, through a water softener (Kinetico dual salt block type) and directly into the cold tap at the kitchen sink. Mains water pressure is very high (the garden hose will often fly off the outside tap because of it (though not this year of course) )

Any ideas ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Well it certainly shouldn't go through the water softner to the kitchen sink. The cold tap on the kitchen sink should always be unsoftened water - iirc there is a danger of excess sodium ions for small children (and adults over a long period).

As this is a very fundamental point with water softeners it brings into question the competance of the installer.

I am familiar with large commercial Kinetico's but not domestic ones, so this may or may not apply to yours, but when the Kinetico is swapping from one resin tank to the other there is a complex change over valve operating. At the change over point the resin tank that is to be regenerated has brine from the salt reservoir sucked through it by venturi action caused by a significant flow of mains water to drain for a set period. Then mains water is fed briefly to the salt reservoir to form brine for the next cycle. During all this period the demand water flow is routed though the other tank which when exhausted will be itself regenerated by the above action repeating. The metering of when to change over from one resin bed to the other is controlled by a small water turbine and gearing which also drives the changeover valve.

I am not suprised your kitchen tap spits after a change over, as any air in the valve will get out that way. The cure is to tee off before the water softener to the kitchen cold tap, and also to give the installer a good rollocking for endangering your health.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew Mawson wrote: [snip]

OK. Two points.

We have an additional tap, fed pre softner, for drinking water (this doesn't spit). Secondly we've had the softner for five years, this problem has only just started

Reply to
Mark Carver

In which case probably you have a leaking 'o'ring in the control head.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson