Air in CH system

Hello

I have CH problem where the CH stops working due to air entering the system. I can get it going again by bleeding the pump and then it works ok for a couple of days. This problem has got progressively worse and I now need to fix it asap.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Are you sure it's air? It could be hydrogen, resulting from corrosion, unless you have sufficient inhibitor in the system. Next time you bleed a radiator, collect some of this 'air' in an upturned jar, and see whether it burns when you put a match to it. If it does, it's hydrogen - and you need to tackle the corrosion.

If it doesn't, you need to investigate where air is getting in. Does the F&E tank have sufficient water in it - or has the ball valve stuck? Is the system pumping over? Etc.

Reply to
Set Square

I'll have to do the check for Hydrogen you suggested and have a look at the expansion tank but I know for sure there's no inhibitor in the system as it was drained down recently by a plumber when the rad in the bathroom was changed.

Is this important and do you have any recommendations for inhibitor?

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Something like this

do the trick.

If you are generating hydrogen, you *definitely* need it.

Reply to
Set Square

In-case anyone's interested, I used Fernox Restorer in the system for a week, then refilled with Fernox Inhibitor and now everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tony