Air brick regulations or recommendations

Anyone know what the UK regulations are for air bricks? Or, failing that, any general recommendations on their use and airflow to the rest of a house? By air brick I mean something like this:

I probably should ask some specific questions but they would be many! so it may be best to get some general advice first.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Building regs doc C is probably a good start.

John Rumm

Many years ago I was advised to improve ventilation by removing that type of airbrick - large opening but the brick has only small holes allowing a limited airflow - and replacing it with something like

which has a much larger airflow opening.

Reply to
alan

I got some ideas from the official regs but overall found them confusing so, yes, I think I'll need to ask.

In summary this is for a first floor flat with a concrete floor. There is a neighbouring flat below and a loft above. An air brick vents into a kitchen cupboard.

Am concerned about ventilation into the flat rather than that to the interior of the walls. I gather there are two reasons for such an air brick: condensation and keeping the air quality acceptable. About right?

How much airflow is required into the kitchen and other rooms? Does it depend on whether there are naked-flame fires in those rooms? (The flat has no gas or open fires. All cooking and power are electric.)

Reason for asking: to limit winter cold air flow to just what's needed but also to ensure enough is maintained. The flat was built around 1990 if that gives some idea of the likely airtightness of the rest of the flat apart from the air brick.

Any guidance appreciated.

James

Reply to
James Harris

That's really good to hear. I didn't expect it would be permissible to cover it completely.

Yes, the windows are double glazed and have small vents. The vents are kept closed but they don't form a seal and still allow a little air through.

As you say, there are places where some air can get in - the mains sockets especially. I have done as you suggested and blocked the air brick. Many thanks for the advice.

James

Reply to
James Harris

There's a nice online version of the building regs documents here:

darren

Why bother going to a third party site when you can get the original doc from the official site?

Reply to
John Rumm
2013, The name is not Petrocelli is it by any chance he never did finish that house he was building in the series. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff