Agent won't be doing this again...

Friend told me this story today.

Four girls are living in a agency houseshare, and recently the winter cold has started to bite, one who has what is undoubtedly an uninsulated roof loft extension also has a problem with the radiator not getting hot.

Rings agency to see what they can do about it, and they say it needs bleeding. "Fine, can you send someone out to do it then?", she says. "We won't send anyone out to do this, you have to do it yourself", they say. "But I don't know how", she says. "You need to get a tool to undo the valve at the end and let out the excess air" said the agency.

So after waiting weeks without proper heating and being unable to find one in the shops -it's the old style square socket apparently - she manages to find one on eBay by typing in "radiator key", and only 99p.

It arrives in the post on New Year's Eve, and later that evening, she lets all the air out of the radiator as per the instructions. Apparently it hadn't been done for a long time and there was quite a bit of air. Unfortunately it also reduced the system pressure and the boiler, as per design - refused to do anything.

Friend was called by one of the tenants as was obviously unable to restart the heating but was also unsuccessful and they had to call the agency emergency number the next day which resulted in a very expensive NY call out fee for a plumber to rectify. Apparently according to the plumber, bringing the system back online wasn't something they would have been able to do themselves even if they knew how as there was no filling loop in place.

I suppose in general terms, a tenant should be expected to bleed radiators if they are occupying a property for a long period, but only after they've been shown how for the first time - in that case, clueless tenants getting told to do that by the agent is just asking for trouble.

Reply to
Jake

Whats the odds that the Agency tell the tenants that it's their fault for breaking the heating and refuse to cover the bill?

Reply to
Zebra

Not unexpected though. What was that proverb? A stitch in time, saves nine? Regular maintenance should be done properly, or its not worth bothering at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They can try but they were acting on the instructions of the agency. I wouldn't like to be in the agencies shoes if they tried that on my (nearly) 18 yo daughter...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Total none job then?

Goes to show, women still need men. Whatever the PC Bimbos might think.

Reply to
harryagain

Should a tenant be required to possess a filling-loop then?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I would consider maintenance of the heating system to be the landlord's (or his agent's) problem.

Now if you have a savvy tenant, no harm, but it is unreasonable to expect them to bleed radiators with a sealed system.

Reply to
Tim Watts

None I would think - the system was already broken in part and they followed the agent's precise instructions.

Now the landlord might have grounds to have a word with the agent for incompetence...

Reply to
Tim Watts

They should have been left one (and instructions on how to use it).

But without both then it is not their fault

Reply to
ARW

On 04/01/2015 10:57, harryagain wrote: ...

I recall one being quite grateful to me for introducing her to PTFE tape, as she found Boss White and hemp rather messy.

Reply to
Nightjar

+1

another +1

Reply to
Richard

Tenant goes too far with the rad key, out pops the valve, tenant drops valve, can't find it and water pissing everywhere. Change a light bulb yes, mess with a heating system, no.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I would think the tenants are entitled to a rent rebate for the none functioning heating.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Jake scribeth thus

Jesus!, I was wondewrin that if she was going the undo the bloody valve and let all the water out!. Or set light to the hydrogen gas from the rad!..

Bloody piss poor situation of the landlord there, then just how many tenants would know anything about bleedin valves?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Sad .. but have to agree with that comment...

Reply to
tony sayer

Voice of experience?

Reply to
Tim Watts

So what if they got a female plumber in to fix it?

Reply to
Bob Eager

The one time we rented, the agents were a useless bunch of c5nts.

Winter - freezing cold, boiler broke. Landlord away. Had newborn baby.

Agents said "f5ck off we don't fix stuff".

So I booked a CORGI (as was) fitter that had reasonable reviews, fixed it and wrote to the landlord with a copy of the bill.

He was great - said "ta very much for making an effort to find a good non rip off fitter and here's a cheque for the fees."

Same agent went bust without warning - luckily local so I noticed, so I stopped the standing order just in time and again wrote to the landlord and dropped a cheque in for the rent. Again, super happy and did a direct deal with us with no agents. He did OK without the agents fees and he never put the rent up in 5 years so we did well too.

If I ever rent out I'm going to use a self-service online agent, and give the tenants a list of approved sparkies and plumbers for use in an emergency. It's amazing how landlords often don't think ahead...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was thinking that one of the 1/2" drive blanking plugs was about to be removed...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most keys have room inside for the valve to come free and end up inside it, then of course the valve can't be started in the thread. I put a bit of eraser or anything else suitable in the key.

Reply to
PeterC