Ageism in dentistry? OFF TOPIC

talking of which

Andy Burns

As you state below, you have a good dentist.

I've only had two good dentists out of seven ones, in the NW6 London area.

The dentist complimented me on the good state of my teeth.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

< a very big snip>

I went to see the dentist today for my second appointment, and "read him the riot act". Whether it was that, or the fact that I was wrong about him all the time, I don't know: But he went to a lot of trouble to explain to me why the filling had dropped out (he used a tiny camera to take some photos of the tooth and showed them to me on a monitor screen). He also went to a lot of trouble to make the best possible job of the second filling. I was very pleased with his efforts and very helpful attitude. There is a possibility that the filling might drop out again, but the tooth can still be repaired. The dentist explained to me that he wanted to avoid as much as possible any removal of part of the tooth.

You're a good bloke, Andy.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

A conversation is acceptable and reasonable, but not a dicussion.

Yes, it did. Please see my reply to Andy Hall's last message (titled "UPDATE").

I must try and remember this.

I've heard of this rubber dam, but I don't know if he used one. I dont normally look at the dentist, unless it's required for me to do so. Whether he did or not, he was very attentive this time around.

Yes, I gather that it's essential for optimum results.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I wonder what he gets up to away from work. :)

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

previous dentist. I couldn't get in touch with him, so I contacted another, about 2 or 3 miles away, with whom I'd had no connection. He phoned me back at about 5 pm and asked if I could attend his surgery the next morning (Sunday!) at 9 am. He promptly refitted the crown for a nominal charge (a fiver or so - I can't remember). I promptly changed to him as my 'regular' dentist and have had superb service since. If I wish to arrange or cancel an appointment a simple email does the trick - he'll read his emails at almost any time of day or night (from home presumably, in the evening). My only problem is that he chats and jokes while he has your gob open, wire-brushing or whatever, and all you can respond with is "ugh-ugh" or whatever :-) He does like his gadgets such as mini-cameras to show you the inner bits of your mouth! Even the waiting-room has a coffee machine and a computer with internet access if you really want such dire things :-) AND the staff know you by name when you attend after six months.

Frank Erskine

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" typed

My partner's dentist was in NW6 before he came to live with me.

I can vouch for cr*p work received there.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

You would know if he did......

Reply to
Andy Hall

There you go. This is a real illustration of how setting expectations of customers and providing information to enable informed decisions can make a big difference.

Reply to
Andy Hall

difference in financial cost between providing good service like this and mediochrity. It's all about attitude and it does bring customers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My word you are unlucky. You can buy some good magnifying mirrors. Dremels are very good. Aroldite can still be bought.

Reply to
mike

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I've got all these. :)

It all turned out very well after all, this time. See the "UPDATE" message.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

And don't do it yourself.