Age-Related Aches and Pains

That is not a sport, an exercise.or DIY.

Reply to
ARW

probably appropriate exercise at age 80, but otherwise I've never seen the point

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Someone (was it Shaw?) said "a good walk spoilt".

Reply to
charles

That was what my GP said - but his regime was something like:

15-20 mins total (say) cycling (any aerobic work will do).

Every 3 mins or so, you crank up the resistance and/or your speed for 30 seconds to the point where you could not work any harder for that time. Me: if I'm doing 6070 RPM I find it hard to go much faster than about

80-90 RPM so I jack the resistance right up (double the setting).

My heart rate will go from about 110-120 for the regular work to about

145-150. My doc set an absolute max of 170 for me but my legs fall off before I can get my heart that high.

After 30 secs relax the speed and resistance but keep going.

The net result is you get about 5 of those peaks in.

If I have time I try to do 3 cardio sessions like that with 20 reps of some weights machine to build arms.

I am experimenting with varying the cardio - the cross-trainer machines that use legs and arms seem to be good at demanding more metabolic activity.

Some people like using the running machine and if you were semi fit you could just as well do all that with jogging with intermittent sprints.

Our gym is at a local community college (secondary school) and it's dirt cheap and has top of the line equipment, unlike all the poncy gyms round here that turn out to have the bottom models from the same manufacturer!

I think two things:

1) The primary repair for the inguinal for a mesh inserted internally and he spent a good bit of time getting that right. I will admit I have been bloody lucky with that - no dead nerves, phantom aches or adhesions.

2) The belly button was not even a "show-er" - I think all he did was put some stitches in on the way out (they stick the camera tube in there). It may not be a problem - it may just be pulling a bit. if I get thinner it will be less stressed and easier to fix if I needed to. It does not actually cause me any real grief *except* I'm scared to lift too much too often in case it gets worse. If it is just some stitches or scar tissue pulling, I don't really care :) The only issue is I don;t know which one it is...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And you're thin and fit...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

It's a way to basically "hang" with managers and execs, avoiding the intense awkward moments when you have nothing to say (unlike pub/dinner) whilst basically having their ear for the next 2 hours.

And plenty of weasel points by giving them a hard game but subtlety discovering that they achieve a miraculous win in the final quarter.

I think it would be easier and more honest just to be a Mason.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Also the Mrs might not let you spend all Saturday morning in the pub, but the golf club has a bar, and you can (have to) turn your phone off.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

W hen did you start taking statins?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed. It's how to spoil a good walk. (Mark Twain)

Reply to
Capitol

It's so that you can bore other people.

Reply to
Capitol

I resemble that statement ;-)

I hate working on my knees - but that's not new. Good knee pads help though.

I think part of the problem is mental rather than physical - at 47 I find I can probably still lift stuff as well as when younger, but I anticipate it will be harder even though it usually turns out its not.

Like last summer - I laid some new paths in the garden (a total of 60 slabs) and remember thinking before I started, will I still be able to tote about 600mm square slabs at 33kg each? However after getting started it was easier than I had convinced myself it was going to be.

Reply to
John Rumm

It sure helps, but you need a plan for keeping it off. About 9 years ago, I unexpectedly found motivation to do exercise and cut down on the rations. Obviously at a high level our brains "know" that combination will lose weight, but I'd never done enough of either to experience the direct link at a low level so my body "knew" it too.

That year I used to relish getting home, so I could get out and do an hour or so on the bike in the evenings, and over the course of a summer lost over 3 stone and dropped four trouser sizes - then winter struck and I went back to Ursine mode - never been able to get the same motivation back ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A morris dancing work colleague from some years back had to give it up after about 25 years - knackered his knees.

Doesn't mean it will happen to everyone though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel scribbled

It depends upon their footwear. Most sensible dancers wear trainers, but some teams don't allow them, they even perform in boots. Like footballers, knees suffer.

Reply to
Jonno

and on 3000 calories a day.

Reply to
ARW

It is annoying.

I have tracked several days eating with MyFitnessPal (has loads of foods including ready meals and sandwiches so pretty simple to keep track).

Somewhere suggested my goal calorie intake should be 1600 odd. On a day with no real effort I can consume as little as 1600-1700 including wine and a packet of crisps. I have no sugar in my coffee and almost never (once a month) eat confectionery - which I do not miss - I've just got out of the habit.

1600 would be maintainable because it's not hard and I don't have to eat rabbit food to do it - but I am wondering if it's actually too high?

But as you say, if I come down too hard, the body just holds a grudge and afterwards you eat "normally" and it grabs everything.

It's time too.

In theory I can spare 2 hours at the weekend for a visit and 90 mins at lunch on Tue and Thu when I work from home to drive over ready kitted, and just do stuff and come home unchanged and get on with work.

So that's 3 times a week.

However, it is a fragile system and if I have other errands, they tend to end up using that slot.

Reply to
Tim Watts

How many in beer? :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Actually, I have no problem with Day 1. It's Day 2 that I start to struggle.

Reply to
Huge

A walk in the country, spoiled.

Reply to