Age of house

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@NTLworld.com (Roly) saying something like:

Knock down a wall and count the rings.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The3rd Earl Of Derby" saying something like:

That's quite neat. Similar here - an old house I had some years back returned a date within the range I thought the house to be.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A post-war estate ("homes for heroes") probably had an Opening Ceremony with Local Dignitaries which would have been reported in the local papers.

If the Council has a separate Archives dept they may be a better bet than a branch library.

Asking at local schools might also be fruitful - they may have done local history projects.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

John Rumm typed

Man next-door (semi-detached 'other half') tells me he moved in to newly-built house in 1932.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Dave Plowman (News)" typed

Quite. Mine was.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I don't you do. Your software is misdesigned and deletes the space in dash dash space which is the sig separator. You need to use something to debug your software or buy one that works properly.

Reply to
John Cartmell

I know my sig seperator is borked, but thats irrelevent to my post Mary has a tendancy to put her post in before the sig and not after it.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The same person must've rendered my chimney too ....)

1935 scratched into the mortar; which nicely agrees with the title.

BTW; did the original poster not see/read/get sight of the title papers when the house was conveyed?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

|BTW; did the original poster not see/read/get sight of the title |papers when the house was conveyed?

I *saw* my title deeds when I bought my house, but did not *read* them until many years later when I wished to run a small business from my = house, and the Building Society got them from storage for me to read.

Exact date of building would be of little interest when buying the house, but might well become interesting later.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

educated guesses as to some of the descriptions of the terms, which contained more terms I didn't understand!

Reply to
kavvy

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

I thought about it (I have been there a time or two to consult the law library) but I since found an image on oldmaps.co.uk that was just as bad so I assume a good copy of the 6" no longer exists. Incidentally I tried looking for oldmaps.co.uk earlier today but couldn't gain access and the link from the OS site seems to have disappeared.

Only when they want money. :-(

Reply to
Roger

We didn't see the deeds of either of our houses until the first was compulsorily purchased (and we weren't allowed to keep them so I made a hand written copy) and we completed the mortgage payments on the second. We're still there.

I was disappointedwith the second, I expected some kind of formal handing over ceremony, instead we were kept waiting on chairs in a council corridor (it was a corporation mortgage) and eventually a teenage girl came up, asked if we were Mr and Mrs Fisher and gave us an envelope.We could have been anyone ... no receipt, no signing, no trumpet fanfare - bugger all.

So we went and had a drink at the Mustard Pot where a son was a barman and tried to make a ceremony..

It was memorable only for being a non event :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oldmaps closed down for a while "due to too many orders" (!) but has since returned (with a hyphen), i.e.

One map from the years they have for each area is free to view, though I agree they can be of poor quality.
seems to have a similar set of OS maps.
also has a reasonably wide selection, and there are other sites covering particular towns. Reprints of old maps can also be bought from
and most Local Studies Centres have a local selection for sale. Old A-Zs regularly appear for a few pounds on eBay (the price rockets if before 1910), but unhelpfully are frequently undated.

I didn't mention street directories listing every resident in my first reply, as few of these resumed publication after WW2. Many earlier ones from mid 19th to early 20th century can be seen at

The county-wide ones do not show all residents, as entry was by application. If you're lucky, there may be a local one which will show the principal householder at each address. Be warned that renaming and renumbering streets used to be a popular pasttime. Old directories scanned onto CD can be bought from places such as
and
it's a bit expensive to look up just one address.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

I am the OP .

In that posting I mentioned that the house was originally a council house and the earliest date mentioned is when it was transferred to private owbership in the 1980s.

There is no mention of any date between when the house was built shortly after the war and when it was transfered to private ownership in the

1980s.

As far as the deeds are concerned, you might imagine that the house didn't exist before the 80s.

Reply to
Roly

Mine were posted registered post from the building society. Postman just left them proped up against the front door, without even bothering to ring for a signature. I found them a few hours later.

My deeds were very interesting. I can work out the ownership of the land back to 1640-something. Unfortunately, a few of the documents are missing (at some point, a solicitor has numbered them all in order, and some numbers in sequence are not present).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The deeds are normally at the solicitor's office when you go in to sign for things before buying. He/she should really explain anything unusual in them - and you could examine them then if required. And there's no reason why you shouldn't be given (and pay) for a copy if you want one. But of course this wasn't easy before photocopiers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ask her neighbours or the council.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ditto for my 1963 house, 1880 was the most probable date.

Reply to
Paul Herber

|In article |The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: |> Roly wrote: |> > A friend of mine is trying to discover exactly when her house was |> > built. |> >

|> > The deeds don't help as it originally was a local authority house = and |> > the deeds only start when it was sold to the private sector. |> >

|> > It's obvious that it was built somewhere around 1945-1950 |> >

|> > Is there a simple way to date the house more accurately ? than that = ? |>=20 |> You could try this...problem is most of the answers you might not = know? |>=20 |> I tried it and the house I'm in is almost to the date it gave me, due = to |> not knowing some of the questions. |>=20 |>

Builders in my area, West Riding, regularly build houses of 16?? and = more often 17?? or 18?? architecture, to match existing buildings. Telling = from outside the new from the old is really quite difficult. One has to look = at the lack of weathering on the York Stone lintels and mullions. Also the regularity of the size of the York stone blocks. =20