Age of house

A friend of mine is trying to discover exactly when her house was built.

The deeds don't help as it originally was a local authority house and the deeds only start when it was sold to the private sector.

It's obvious that it was built somewhere around 1945-1950

Is there a simple way to date the house more accurately ? than that ?

Reply to
Roly

You could try this...problem is most of the answers you might not know?

I tried it and the house I'm in is almost to the date it gave me, due to not knowing some of the questions.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

live in some time ago which was Victorian, I knew the age of this house because it had the date above the door in the stonework. The site was accurate to within 4 years of its age.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

forgot to add, click on the blue links to reveal anything your not sure of.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There was on mine... the person who rendered the chiney stack in the loft signed and dated his work ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In the Local Studies section of her main library she should find:-

(a) Electoral rolls which will show when the first people moved in. It helps if it was a green field site, as the road will appear at that time. If not, she will have to look for changes in numbering which indicate demolition and rebuilding.

(b) Council minutes which will show when they built the estate.

(c) People who probably know the answer anyway -- an e-mail may save the visit.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

|A friend of mine is trying to discover exactly when her house was built. | |The deeds don't help as it originally was a local authority house and |the deeds only start when it was sold to the private sector. | |It's obvious that it was built somewhere around 1945-1950 | |Is there a simple way to date the house more accurately ? than that ?

Go to your local library and look at old maps. =20 My Son in Law dated his house to a year, but he was lucky.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

|A friend of mine is trying to discover exactly when her house was built. | |The deeds don't help as it originally was a local authority house and |the deeds only start when it was sold to the private sector. | |It's obvious that it was built somewhere around 1945-1950 |

If it was built after 1947 then its likely the local council will have the plans and planning permission for it. Go to the local council planning office.

I dated mine that way.

Reply to
lynd

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

I tried that years ago. The copy Keighley Library has of the first 6" survey is a completely illegible photocopy. The librarian was unable to suggest any earlier maps.

The house dater isn't much use either putting my house date at 1873 with a broad spread. (1846 - 1900). I know the mean date is wrong as the house is named on the first 1" map of the area which was based on the original 6" survey carried out in the main between 1844 and 1850.

Reply to
Roger

|The message |from Dave Fawthrop contains these = words: | |> Go to your local library and look at old maps. =20 |> My Son in Law dated his house to a year, but he was lucky. | |I tried that years ago. The copy Keighley Library has of the first 6" |survey is a completely illegible photocopy. The librarian was unable to |suggest any earlier maps.

Have you tried Bradford Central Library? Keighley is part of Bradford, officially. =46rom windy Shelf.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Go to the library and look for street directories - there should be one for each year. That should also tell you who lived in the house, and for how long (until they stopped publishing, or the library stopped buying). If they're not there, ask; in our case, some of the years are kept in another library eight miles away, although they don't relate to that area...go figure!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Electoral rolls are another source of information which might help.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

So part of an estate?

Ask the neighbours? It's possible some older ones may have been there since new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

with a 2% chance of being 1910. However, some of the questions were not clear enough, and in some cases, none of the answers was appropriate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Our 1937 house came up with way earlier than that, a 2% chance of being

1934.

Not enough thought seems to be given to local building material sources.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or maybe you didn't understand some of the questions.

p.s why do you always intercept peoples sig seperator when putting your own?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Give us one exmple please Andrew?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

"Is brickwork polychromatic (multi-coloured)?" Not clear if this was still just talking about the front of the house, or all of it. The front is a different colour from the rest (it uses more expensive bricks). Is that a yes or no? I said No, as the front itself isn't polychromatic.

"How is the porch constructed?" Mine is both inset (without tiled walls) and has a canopy (continuation of bay roof). There was no suitable choice. This is a common construction.

"What is the shape of the door opening?" I suspect this means the porch opening rather than the door. Didn't seem to make any difference to the age though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I suspect this meant all of the house?

No the door would be appropriate, because the inset porch in mine was square but the was halfround.