Aga - soot on inside of hotplate lid?

Our quite old, but regularly serviced, Aga has recently sooted up the complete inside of the lid of the hot (left hand) hotplate. There are also black soot marks around the ring at the outside of the plate.

The Aga is oil fired.

Any idea what could be causing this? Is it serious, or should a good service be sufficient to cure it?

Reply to
Philip K

A service will fix it. This is probably some sooting from the burner.

Reply to
Andy Hall

New and excessive sooting suggests incomplete combustion - I'd be concerned that there might be carbon monoxide too. Has anything changed recently - could the flue from the stove or air inlets to the room be partially blocked? Has extra ventilation been added or removed somewhere else in the house, that could be affecting the air pressure in the room?

Reply to
dom

Favorite is a build up of carbon on the burner leading to poor burn. A service will solve this. Other factors - is the flue clear? Birds might have built a nest in it I take it double glazing or draughtproofing have not been recently installed?

Reply to
cynic

Thanks to all who responded (especially those who made the point about possible safety concerns due to Carbon Monoxide).

In the event, the Aga went out before I could switch it off! We had it serviced and the technician showed my wife where there had been a problem with the oil feed pipe at the base of the Aga - the connecting joint was bad and there had been a leak of fuel. He replaced the worn part with a new one and it's working fine now.

Reply to
Philip K