After years of using wood glue I realise I'm using it wrong!

For the first time in years I happened to be reading the blurb on the back of my almost-used plastic bottle of Evostick wood glue and was amazed to discover that it says apply the glue to ONE surface whereas I have been applying it to both surfaces for yonks! I bought a new bottle of glue at Wilkinson (I'm trying their own brand of PVA at half the price of Evostick) and its instructions say the same: Apply to one surface.

So what is wrong about brushing a thin layer onto BOTH surfaces? I am intrigued!

MM

Reply to
MM

Only that invariably you apply too much and it squeezes out all over the place. I don't think it's any more scientific than that

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And it takes much longer to apply!

BTW - I use Isaac Lord's own brand and it seems absolutely fine to me.

(But price has certainly gone up recently.)

Reply to
Rod

Which is an issue if assembling something complex and you need as much "open time" as possible.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ruddy hell! Isaac Lord in Desborough Road? What a small world. I lived in FlackWell Heath for 22 years before moving to Lincolnshire.

MM

Reply to
MM

I was also in HW (Sands) for 17 years before moving to Hampshire.

Reply to
Paul Herber

And I was in Hampshire before moving (indirectly) to High Wycombe.

Reply to
Rod

Thankfully I've never lived in Hampshite or High Wycombe :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I lived in Nuernberg for 5 years before moving to Milan - small world indeed ...

Anyone else actually moved from one place to another at some time in their lives ?

Reply to
geoff

Its full of people who have moved there or away at some time in their lives it would seem ... some of whom have never heard of Isaac Lord before, despite them being regularly referred to in this ng

Inselaffen, eh ?

Reply to
geoff

I did a furniture restoration course taught by an old school craftsman. Half expected to be boiling up old hides and rotting animal parts to be used as the wood glue. Nope, told PVA glue was the best stuff ever invented for woodworking and that it had to be slathered in vast quantities onto -both- parts to be joined. Assemble then wipe off the gallons of overspill with a wet cloth. I appreciated the high quality of his work, so listened up (as the americans and BBC scriptwiters say).

Reply to
john

Yes. The odd thing is that Liverpool is the only place I have ever lived where my car has never been broken into.

I seem to remember the police calling round to find out why I had not called them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I can't remember why I started applying the glue to both surfaces. Maybe it was a throwback to carpentry lessons at Swattenden, where we DID use fish glue! I remember the little pot that was kept warm.

Anyway, I've never had any problem with PVA. It's marvellous stuff.

MM

Reply to
MM