After many years discovered ceiling hairline cracks along plasterboard joints!

In recent days I have been installing walk boards in the loft and had to pull back the insulation to uncover the joists. Then it struck me that the hairline cracks in the ceilings almost all follow the line of where two plasterboards meet. You can see this easily from the loft side of the ceiling.

I assume this is normal? House was built in 2004.

MM

Reply to
MM

yep. no scrim tape probably

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wot he said...

I have hairline cracks too. Wipe some decorators caulk in on the next repaint. Then stop worrying as it is highly likely they'll come back - perhaps a little reduced...

I don't really notice mine anymore.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

What's the best way of repairing the hairlines for a *long lasting* fix?

MM

Reply to
MM

Just after I moved in the next door neighbour said the builder had deliberately left the boiler running flat out 24/7 to dry out the house. It was the last house on the estate and he had to sell it before being permitted to relinquish control to the management company and get Lincolnshire Highways Dept to assume responsibility for the road and infrastructure. Had I known this beforehand I probably could have shaved several thousands off the asking price.

Hints for buyers:

  1. If you're moving completely out of your area,rent first, then spend a few months surveying properties.

  1. Do not buy a property with oil-fired central/hot water heating.

  2. DO NOT buy a property that is not on mains drainage and shares a communal private sewage treatment plant.

  1. Don't believe a word the builder tells you. Mine told me the oil tank would still have a massive quantity left in it. Day after I moved in he called to remind me to buy oil urgently, as there was only about a cupful left. At least this was when oil was "only" 27p a litre.

MM

Reply to
MM

Scrim tape the crack and reskim the ceiling.

Seriously - these hairlines are nearly impossible to totally fix - you can hope to lessen it at best. It really is a case of "fix yourself" being easier than "fix it".

Other options:

I tried paining PVA in the crack prior to painting - maybe helped a little - about 1/2 the original hairline is back though.

"Flexible" ceiling paint advertised for hairline cracks - so idea if it works - however, I did notice that some Dulux Bathroom grade emulsion did something interesting: I have no architrave around the bathroom door yet and painted up to the edge of the frame. A small lump (1x1") bit of plaster came disloged next to the frame and has lifted about 2mm. The paint film over it is however 100% intact like a plastic sheet. so I guess some paints may be able to form a tough film. Whether it will stand a hairline crack in teh celining is anyones guess...

Reply to
Tim Watts

These two are very important as they mean that you wont be buying any properties in our village.

And we don't want swine like you here anyway.:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I dont remember ever trying drilling holes and injecting plenty of plaster behind the boards to stabilise it, then fill. If it did, lot easier than skimming.

NT

Reply to
NT