aerials - again :-(

Page 4 of 4

Looks like a Ma*view one. Wouldn't give it house room here, IMHO of course!....
--
Tony Sayer

And mine! I won't have any of their kit in the shop with the exception of 2 items:
Tripod for temporary dish mount. - Expensive but unique.
Screened single co-ax outlet. - Not much about of this ilk.
The only way (as you know) to ensure that the screened cable works as it should is to use a balun in the aerial. Now I was appalled when Antiference decided on a propoganda campaign suggesting that their TC range aerials didn't need baluns, rather than modifying them to spec! The XG range do have baluns however.
In my experience, you can't do much better than a Triax Supergain 18 or Unix 52 with Pope H109F cable. These products are the mainstay of most of our installations.

Unix
I have fitted a hanfull of Unix 52's and a couple of Unix 100's over time 3-5 years some of them have fallen apart i.e. bits of the elements blown away by the wind. I have now gone back to Antiference Extragain which I used to use and have proven sturdier, all I have fitted, some 12-15 years ago, are still completely intact. I also seem to get a slightly better signal with an XG8A than a Unix52A despite their respective literature suggesting otherwise. Have you had no problems with the Triax models falling apart?
I have also considered Televes but have not used any yet, what do you think of these i.e. their DAT 45 & 75, not their Unix clones?

I have a Pro 45 and a Pro 75, which if they are not the same as the DAT models are the predecessor. Looking at the data sheet, the assembly is the same. Both have been rock solid. They are mounted quite high, so fairly exposed to the wind. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
No, the only thing that needs to watched is the waterproof cap. Unless you clip it down properly, it can come off in the wind and write off the aerial and cable. The build standard has dropped a little since Triax was bought out, but they are still the best in my opinion. Have a look at the way the directors are fitted, much better than Antiference's (TC range) aluminium rivet idea that comes loose just by looking at it!

Can't praise the Televes highly enough. We use the Pro 45 as a problem solver. It is everything an aerial should be. The DAT versions have an onboard 13dB pre-amp which again is done properly. The only slight criticism is the time it takes to assemble the boxed versions. The bagged ones usually come in with elements broken sadly.

aerial
the
I agree about the cap, once secured properly I always used to then wrap a fair bit of tape around it just to make sure some giant bird or something didn't disturb it. The only TC aerial I have used is a wideband TC10 that I use myself for my touring caravan, it's a few years old now, been put up, taken down, packed away, driven hundreds of miles many times and is still intact. I only selected it because of the compactness of the reflector compared to others and it performs better than a contract aerial, it did a surprisingly good job for OnDigital/ITV Digital etc. although it was helped by a Televes set back variable amp with an ultra low noise figure and a substantial gain - something like up to 36db, I got reception in a number of places where officialy you couldn't. I tend to take a sky minidish now so the TC10 is in semi- retirement so I may not find out how long it takes to fall apart!

I didn't realise the DAT had a pre-amp it's the Pro series I must have been thinking of, might try one soon.
Regards

Is the polarity correct for the transmitter, vertical or horizontal elements ?
Dave

yes

Is it pointing the right way - this page will tell you http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

Same way as everyone elses, although I know that isn`t a guarantee of accuracy - the whole estate points the same way...

where I live ch5 comes from a different xmitter than the rest - you have a high gain aerial but it's highly directional...you also don't say what your receiver is - TV or Freeview box ...if Freeview you need an appropriate wideband aerial for your area - similarly for TV possibly
does the aerial come in two parts - if so remove the front elements & see if it's better

TV (i`m getting to be a luddite in my old age - nothing digital in here)

It does, but why would removing the front elements improve on the 8 element I just took down ? :-}
Colin Wilson wrote:

Because too much signal can swamp the input circuit of the TV causing a poor picture in much the same way to little can.
--
Cheers,

John.

I doubt its a case of too much signal where C4 or C5 are concerned :-}
Colin Wilson wrote:

Probably not the problem in your case.... but that is why it can be worth lowering the signal level into the TV as a test in some cases.
(You also need to watch for too much signal going into the input of a cheap amplifier - they will then usually start cross modulating and produce all sorts of nasty mess on the output where there ought to be a signal!)
This site is really for digital TV - but it will give you distances to your transmitter. The aerial recomendation it makes assumes that you want DTV as well - so you can ignore that.... although if you know somone you can scrounge a digital set top box from to try that may solve all your problems!
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe
--
Cheers,

John.

[snip]
That's why I gave him the wolfbane analogue page http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/tvr.htm a few posts back. :-)
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply
Phil Addison wrote:

Oops - sorry not paying attention! Still you may as well have the full set. ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes, but you'd have to be very close to a main TX for that to be a problem....
--
Tony Sayer

Much better to fit an inline attenuator - chopping up an aerial can affect other things than just gain.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.