aerials - again :-(

Page 1 of 4
Well, got my 18 element from screwfix today, put it up about an hour ago, and the picture is still a steaming pile of dung :-/
I can get all the channels great, but not at the same time :-(
Does anyone know if the position of the mounting bracket can affect picture quality ? - the existing bracket was attached to the end of the old aerial, but the new screwfix one had a U bracket underneath, which was in a poor position for my existing fixing unless I moved it backwards, so instead of... / [-O/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/- \ |_____|
i`ve got...
/ [-O/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/- \|_____|
If the U bracket location can cause this I might have to rejig the fixings somehow...
TIA :-}

At a guess, I'd say no. but there are a million and one books on aerials and RF transmission. it is a complicated animal.

What do you mean exactly by "but not at the same time"?
Do you mean you have to point the aerial in different directions for different channels? Or do you mean that you can't get different channels on different televisions at the same time?
--
Chris Green

^^ This one...

That suggests then that you have the wrong aerial as you should be able to get all the signals you want from one transmitter. Check which transmitter is nearest (or gives the best signal) and then see what channels it uses for all the ones you want. This tehn tells you what aerial you need - either an oridnary one (for the right channels) or maybe a wideband one.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Sometimes but not always. To be awkward here in Cambridge the main station is sandy heath in Bedfordshire some 18 miles distant which provides good analogue and DTV in the area. Unfortunalty the channel 5 transmitter is a very low power thing on a different transmit aerial system and it is aimed the opposite direction to Cambridge!. So Cambridge has its own channel 5 relay from Madingley a few miles outside Cambridge and on a different heading but the same aerial group but for most people another aerial is required!......
--
Tony Sayer

poke in the eye with a sharp stick might stop them doing stupid things like this
Some twigs must be fitted at the top of the mast but that would be obvious by looking at it.
What you hsould have done is bought a proper twig from a proper supplier. I recently bought a pro45, 10' mast, t&k brackets and a 30m roll of double screened, oh and an omni directional FM twig too, plus all the necessary U brackets etc - all for less than 70. 69.96 to be exact!
The signal is amazing.
Cheap twigs usually offer poor signal, especially in border coverage area's.
Buying a proper jobbie and installing it high as poss is the best start.
Also check how you've wired the thing - but that's another story.

Liverpool - not that bad a reception area I would have thought - and i`m not in any valleys :-}

This may be my "only" downfall at present - i`ve got it mounted on the back wall of the house with it pointing in the same direction as all the other aerials on the terrace across an open space (several hundred yards at least)

Satellite coax (took the old analogue dish down and remade the connections either end - there was plenty of slack)
Colin Wilson wrote:

How old was the coax? and were the connections at the satellite dish fully encased in self amalgamating tape?
Coax cables have a tendency to absorb moisture. especially if weathered or not terminated and sealed correctly. This can cause a big loss of signal especially toward the top of the TV spectrum (so not much of an issue for Crystal Palace viewers, but it might be for you).
Again CPC etc will do a roll of CT100 for not too much.
--
Cheers,

John.

Can`t remember how it was sealed (it did have some sort of tape on it but I just chopped it at the LNB rather than piddling about) but I think it was about 6 years old.
Colin Wilson wrote:

In some cases that may be considered getting on a bit ;-) Depends on how well it was protected from water ingress.
--
Cheers,

John.

First suggestion - rewire. If it's "analogue dish" cable it's getting on a bit.
PJO wrote:

Yeah I agree, I don't think I'd have used a screwfix aerial either. Since when were screwfix expert aerial manufacturers.
I got a Wideband 100 Element Triax Unix 100 from a local wholesaler for under 30 quid including the VAT. It's a monster aerial and pulls in massive amounts of signal. If I'd wanted the 52 element version it would only have been about 22 quid.
18 elements from screwfix sounds cheap and nasty.....

Be very careful. Where aerials are required, bigger is not neccessarily better. You can run into beamwidth problems unless you have a perfect line of sight path to the transmitter. It is also fairly easy to overload the input of a receiver, something you wouldn't be able to assess without a meter. This gives rise to symptoms similar to weak signals.
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Correct, but I don't have any problems like that. The only concern I do have about this aerial is the wind loading on my chimney!

Don't TVs come with AGC anymore. I've always tried to drive mine into AGC.
--
Stewart Freitag

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:42:21 +0000, Stewart Freitag

You can still overdrive them.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

What exactly do you mean by that statement Andy?.

Far easier to overload a poor dist amp or VCR....
--
Tony Sayer

All other things being equal, a bigger version of the same aerial will have a narrower beamwidth. This can give rise to all sorts of grief unless the line of sight is "clean". The most likely problem will be multipath (ghosting on analogue). Although the new modulation will help a bit, digital still isn't keen on it either. :-)

Agreed, but here I am talking digital. We work to a maximum input (any channel) of 75dB which is fairly easy to exceed. Analogue can take much more (80-90dB) until the picture distorts or more likely another channels image will float past in the background.