Aerial fu..itters

After gormless gas fitters, (see pilot light perils) has been airhead aerial fiters.

Aerial, wind damaged, on flat roof of tenement, downlead fine, internal cable run below floor, so just needs an aerial connected and remounted. Couldn`t be simpler...

Aerosol No.1 Ah, have to put in a new downlead, have to just run it round the top of the skirtings inside, 175 quid plus vat..

Er no mate

120 quid for cash then

Er your oright, last one who stapled an aerial coax managed to put half the staples through the cable.

Arsebandit No.2 You need a downlead yada yada, er 175 quid plus vat, beginning to spot a pattern

nah mate

150

nope

120 for cash

nope mate and put your staple gun away.

Archoles No.3 Mad Tam and his deranged looking apprentice, need a new aerial mate, our price would be , can you guess, yup 174 plus VAT....

Nah your oright

2 hours later, on the phone, its Mad Tam,he is having a brief sale and can do it for 89 quid for cash.

Almost bit, but wasn`t sure he actually knew which way round to hold the staple gun.

Arsenal King of Division 1 Rogue trader of the year, fitter No.4

Due anytime between 12.30 and 15.00, at 15.15 phones to sya he`s on his way.

Ah , whats the problem, blocky picture,not that going to look or switch anything on, right , I`ll have a look at the front of the building...

I`ll look at the back of the switched off TV

I`ll then go back out side for a bit

Then start pulling the aerial faceplate off the wall, re-terminate it there.

Suppose better go and look at roof at last. Right updated my facebook status from roof, better return to actually plug someting in downstairs.

and return to roof, check facebook status.

return from roof to claim that aerial outlet isn`t connected to anything on roof, invent nonsense about old communal aerial and tricky access to run cable.

Am not actually dealing with arse wipe myself at this point, my white haired Mum is whilst I appear occupied with paperwork.

I signal that he is not to be trusted and that Mum may wish to ask him to collect his gear and simply provide the free quote he was called for.

He dissapears to roof to collect his gear eventually.

Meet Mum in hall carrying chequebook, arse wipe required 35 quid for his time till now.

How quaint that some scams stand the test of time, free quote turns into, Ive brought the cable/ladder/aerial with me now, have started work/conducted a survey/taken longer than 15 mins and will have to charge you. Came accross same thing 10 years ago.

He had in fact offered to fill out the cheque for Mum , an offer she found easy to decline.

She had in fact already filled out the cheque and was looking for her guarantee card whilst arse hole went to get rest of his stuff.

At which point asked Mum to make hesrelf scarce whilst I dealt with arse.

Shouted up in plain anglo saxon that he should leave in short order.

What he was actually doing, as discovered later, was mangling remains of our aerial to make reception completely unwatchable.

Took him another 10 minutes to appear at ground floor door, with remarkable rhino hide he was trying to fill out an invoice.

He was told to leave in plain anglo saxon and escorted from the building.

Where he sat in his van for some time, just in sight of front door courier cam.

Mum went out to the post office , via her car just parked up road.

As she drives off Arse Hole of the decade , 3 point turns and goes same way.

It transpires that Arse Hole then followed her to the post office, parks in front of her and climbs out to tell her

Your son was very agressive to me , I`ve informed the Police

He then sits in his van until she comes out again.

Can only think that he thought she was going to the post office to get him cash and that this is a quite normal way of doing business for him.

Police are going to offer him some advice.

Any tips on finding an actual competent Aerial Fitter who won`t try and mug my Mum on the street?

Dinnae say rated people, one and only quote from a dork who thought 330 quid to supply and fit 2 cheap internal doors was a good price...

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I used Checkatrade

when I needed aerial and satellite done. It turned out ok, at least the customer stands some chance based on the feedback of others. I guess ratedpeople works the same way.

Reply to
Richard

Like all such sites the question is how they deal with negative comments. All I'll say on that is:

a. their business model is that traders pay them for "leads" they get from the site so who do you think the site sees as the customers they need to keep happy? b. they (like other such sites) reserve the right not to post (or having posted to remove) comments critical of traders without investigating them first.

I'll leave you to work out how that game plays out but the high average marks on such sites do not tally with my impression of the average views of people I know of traders they've used and they are by no means above averagely picky or below averagely sensible about who they pick.

So IMHO there's still nothing better than DIY research (ie ask the neighbours etc). Or of course DIY work.

Reply to
Robin

There is nothing special about fitting replacement aerials other than access. If its easy to get to, then DIY for about £15.

If you weren't getting a decent picture or none at all it takes a bit more, like looking where the suronding ones are pointing. If they all point the same way just do the same.

Most tvs have a signal quality check, just alighn the aerial for best quality, strength isn't as important.

Reply to
dennis

Vote Yes and Emigrate?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should be able to speak to them on the phone, tell them what's needed (like you told us), ask what they propose fitting. If no satisfactory answer, ring someone else.

Alternatively DIY. I found this site, which tells you all you need to know and more, supplies the bits, and is clearly written by someone who shares the values of many people here.

Particularly relevant to you:

Or if you decide to DIY:

(make sure you read "Repairing A Budget Unscreened Wall Plate")

Or just rove the site being informed and entertained in equal measure.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

One of mine retained a negative comment on Checktrade (gas fitter - what a surprise).

However they did reply with a rebuttal which leaves the viewer to decide who's talking bollocks.

The nature of my feedback was to do with a gas hob removal at a relatives flat I was supervising.

1) I did not see any attempt to perform a tightness test, unless he did it after he left (meter outside) but as he'd done the paper work, I doubt it. 2) Was happily going to replace the oven with bare connections on the cooker point - ie did not bother replacing the cover. The cover was broken, but I intervened and replaced it and it was satisfactory - at least until I replaced it with a new cover after the electric hob was fitted.

They claimed they did an electronic tightness test so I've called their bluff and challenged them for the data from this.

Not enough to raise a formal complaint but I would not use them again, and whoever I do use next time will be followed around every step.

One other thing - this gas hob electrical connection was wired in 6-10A or so flex straight onto a 32A cooker radial which says something about the original installer too.

Gas fitters - biggest cowboy trade going IMO (with no disrespect to our resident fitters here :) - and I say "biggest" in the context that GasSafe members are held to a far higher standard than most trades.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh dear, well not much to be said there. All i will say though as will probably be said by others when they finally arrive on this server is this. If the cable is damaged or water has been getting inside the old aerial cable then the cable will probably need replacing as water is bad news for coax cable. I've seen it dripping out of the end with the plug on, in one case the little sheild grippers went rusty!

If its a flat roof jobby, and the pole its on is fine, i cannot see why anyone could not do it themselves persoanally, Just be very sure the connection box is absolutely water tight, and the coax cable is secure, but not bent too acutely, or able to swing wildely in wiinds. As for where to point it, assuming a reasonable signal, just look at everyone elses! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Any wonder why we diy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

As a matter of interest, what kind of downlead have you got now? Braid and Foil CT100 or equal, or older style "low loss" co-ax?

Reply to
John Rumm

I had a review silently dropped from trustpilot too.

Seems they are as bad as checkatrade. It is true that you certainly see almost no major slagging offs on checkatrade which makes me question its value.

Tripadvisor has got it pretty right - if something is s**te, people (often a lot of people) say so.

I stayed in Glastonbury for a couple of days - and the Brewers Fayre attached to the Premier Inn had the biggest slagging off I have seen for a long time.

Knowing that, we made contingency plans, but did take a chance with eating one dinner and the breakfasts (hey, how could you bugger up breakfast???).

Well, the dinner was edible but not great - very greasy.

The breakfasts were the biggest greasefest I have ever seen - even Fat Joes' greasy spoon (fictional) on the A23 layby could not beat this outfit.

I think their only mode of cooking was a deep fat fryer.

Anyway - forewarned, it was bearable but it was interesting that many of the other reviews (over 50%) mirrored my experience.

So I'd say TA is pretty much on the money.

Amazon is damn good for product reviews.

So what is it about trades? Does everything that touches a "trade" get tainted with bullshit and sloppiness?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Surprised Bill's not been along to comment. Perhaps he's on holiday?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The crap roofer from Checkatrade told me that Ratedpeople, (where I had sourced the previous crap roofer from) was crap.

I can guarantee the next workman I have to use, from whatever is the site of the day will tell me why Checkatrade is crap ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think it may be that anyone in the building trade who needs to use Checkatrade etc etc ain't in the top divisions. I was talking last week to the builders doing a major kitchen revamp/extension opposite. They said they aren't on any of those sites, nor on Yell etc, because they get all the work they can cope with by (a) personal recommendations by past clients and (b) recommendations by local chartered surveyors and structural engineers.

Mind you "word of mouth" recommendation round here is not so easy when one's only fluent language is English. (And the next best - 40-odd year old Fortran's - no bloody help at all these days!".)

Reply to
Robin

I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

What is flawed (as to be unworkable) is that Checkatrade only works for people who pay to be there.

Tripadvisor allows anyone to create a hotel/restaurant/attraction and whilst I think they do pass by an editorial team (or at least an algorithm) to keep the nonsense down, there's no political agenda.

You are supposed to be able to do this on Trustpilot but they binned one of mine that was critical of a site I just added.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The key thing is that the user has to be paying for the service, and not the trader. With tripadvisor, that's through advertising and probably social media data sales.

A service paid for by the trader can't work - there's a major conflict of interest over accurate data.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not just building trades either, motor trade is just as bad. Had the ewe(*) shaped "dent" repaired recently, new bumper, bumper reinforcments, grill, headlight etc. Looks OK, first time I need to use the headlights I think they aren't very good and whats that bright patch 8' in front of the car? New headlight had'nt been aligned... Investigation also found a missing grommet in the hole taking a supporting pin so the whole assembly could waggle about a bit. Found suitable grommet and roughly adjusted the headlight using a metre rule at 20 yards and setting the cutoff just below the height of the othersides cutoff, also by eye moving up and down to see when you see the hotspot.

(*) Yes as in sheep, at about 40 mph, glad I drive a Discovery. B-) AFAIK the ewe survived last seen looking a bit dazed on the opposite verge before wandering off into the woods.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's not *necessarily* incorrect - but you need to do a bit of calculation to prove it safe. It's far easier to stick in a 3A fuse, no calculation needed.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

I disagree - if there's a fault pulling 30A that flex will melt.

It would have been easy enough to pop a FCU in place of the cooker point

- fed by a 32A radial which is unusual but is a standard circuit.

OK - the fuse is behind the oven, but it is at least safe.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its not as simple as doing the calculations. You can assume a failure mode and prove its safe, but you can assume a failure mode and prove it isn't. Then you throw away the ones you don't like by saying they never fail like that or say its bad design of the attached device.

In this case its saying there are no fault conditions in a gas hob that can cause a sustained current to flow without knowing anything about the hobs construction.

Its probably a one in a million fault just like the dishwashers that were recalled for catching fire.

I would fit the fuse whatever the calcs show.

Reply to
dennis