Aerial amp & 4 way splitter

In article , charles scribeth thus

Wouldn't have been a problem with the build quality in those days It'd have succumbed to Tin worm long before now;!..

Do they still go out doing field surveys or is that now a thing of the past?.

Reply to
tony sayer

Understood but it seems to me to be more difficult to c*ck up then get right. I expect the sound to be piss poor and the pix can be a variable but we bought a cheap chinkie TV late last year for a simple CCTV monitor and I was surprised that it contained an analogue tuner section as well as a digital one and here Sandy Heath 18 miles distant, was producing a fully stable pix and that off an indoor aerial! ..

Sub 100 quid IIRC the TV....

Well there is a school of thought that seems to thunk that amps and amps can straighten out a donkeys hind leg;!...

500 mw in 8 watts out full class A for a QAM mod system..
Reply to
tony sayer

Don't recall them being able to do that.

Reply to
tony sayer

Imagine it, you run a factory in the 3rd world, you're trying to make money . Your engineers are on 50p an hour, your assembly line on 5p an hour. You realise you can make more by cutting a few corners. So you get your enginee r to pull bits out of the rf section and replace them with cheaper until it breaks, then back up one step...

He removes mains ac filtering caps and choke. He replaces a polyfuse with a resistor. He removes a psu decoupling cap feeding the rf section, fitting a smaller o ne. He puts a lower spec rf tr in, with lower fT. He replaces a ceramic rf cap with some of those totally dead electrolytics they couldnt use in another project (hey they still have a few nF capacitan ce.) Etc.

At the prices per part and prices per hour you pay, if you get away with it its all win. And you usually do.

There's lots of good chinese stuff out there.

I still dont know why you keep bringing up the absurd.

I figured it was a power amp.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Appreciate that but this telly I'm rattling on about it is or was about the cheapest around at that time and there were many more expensive ones but it works fine and why do they bother to fit an analogue section or tuner unless its going to cost more to re engineer it?..

If the chinkie stuff is good who makes the bad;?..

Yes the notion is absurd;!..

:).. That was the cheapest one if you wanted it with a power supply in a 19 Inch rack box then thats £££ 2000 Sir;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

yes... doesnt change the above economics

Dunno. old stock?

the chinese usually

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well I saw one the other day around a friend's, still got analogue and digital tuners in it and working very well on an indoor aerial!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Did they use notch filters then, before mixing their rf output with the feed from the aerual?

NT

Reply to
meow2222