Aerial advice

Afternoon all, I am planning on replacing my TV aerial on Monday, but I am looking for a bit of aerial selection advice before I go shopping tomorrow.

My house is in a dip and suffers from poor signal, I have a choice of the Crystal Palace transmitter (group A) or Bluebell Hill (group E).

I am considering one of these two aerials A 48 element

or a 'Televes' aerial
of these are 'wideband' aerials - my theory is I can try each transmitter in turn and see which one turns out best.

The Televes one says 'very directional' in the description - I am a bit worried this means that if the wind blows it a bit I will have to get up there and re-orientate it regularly.

I am thinking about replacing the masthead amp too (the house came with one but it looks like it has been up there a *long* time).

Anyone got any advice (apart from get Sky!)

Reply to
MDD

Yes you can, although I believe that Bluebell Hill may carry different local programmes.

Yes it is more directional, which is why it has a subst antially higher forward gain of 16.5dB vs. the 11.5dB of the other one.

Also, Televes is a good quality product - I have two of them - one on Crystal Palace and the other on Hannington (which is another awkward range of channels) and they are fine. I have no idea what the other antenna is, but based on experience, unbranded contract antennas have short lifetimes and are not good in the first place.

Having a more directional antenna will help if you are in a dip and perhaps suffer from multipath reception - it may well help to reduce this.

I have my antennas on quite tall masts bolted to the side of the house. 50mm quality galvanised tubes were used as recommended. These do not move a great deal in the wind.

I would certainly do that too, if you believe that one is needed. Remember that they will not always improve the final result because they introduce noise themselves.

You may want to try without first.

Again, buy a good quality brand such as Antiference, Labgear or Fringe

- not Maxview. The noise figure is very important here. The lower the better. If it isn't quoted, don't buy. I wouldn't buy any of the TLC antenna amplifier products as it is unclear what they are.

Use CT100 satellite grade cable, not TV coax. This can make a big difference.

Make sure that you use good quality self amalgamating tape - not ordinary PVC tape.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yeah. Don't get a wideband as that'll pick up all kinds of unwanted frequencies. I don't really know why they make widebands. Decide on group A or E (I'd be inclined to go for A myself) get something with a shitload of elements on it, stick it on a 10 or 16' mast and you shouldn't need to have a masthead amp. Amps, remember, don't just amplify the signal you want, they amplify all those other signals too. Remember you'll need a double-lashing kit with a big mast. Don't tighten the top U bolt too much round the mast as it tends to weaken the mast at that point and a strong wind could bend the mast there.

BB

Reply to
Big Bill

They are a very friendly bunch over on uk.tech.digital-tv who will be happy to advise.

HTH

CD

Reply to
CD

Rubbish.

That would be no use at all for Bluebell Hill.

That can't be determined without knowing the local topology.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Big Bill wrote

They make widebands because they are required for some reception

For instance Digital Terrestrial from Bluebell Hill are on channels 24,

27, 39, 42, 45 and 59 which requires a wideband aerial.
Reply to
Alan

In message , MDD wrote

What is the reception like at the moment?

If you want Terrestrial Digital TV in the future then you will need a wideband aerial for Bluebell Hill.

They have around 60 different aerials and related products for sale

Good idea

If you have to do that it will not have been fitted correctly.

The Televes has an optional (extra cost) masthead amplifier (Margin Rising Device) that clips directly into the aerial i.e. it becomes part of the aerial fitted in the 'ideal place'. You also need the power supply (amp+power supply approx £15 + vat).

On the CPC opening page type dat45 in the search box. The aerials and masthead amplifier details are on a dat45/dat75 link that should appear.

Reply to
Alan

Every aerial picks up unwanted frequencies. It's the job of the receiver to discriminate against these. A narrow band aerial will make signals within its pass band slightly stronger, though.

CH5 and Freeview in certain areas?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

in. Don't forget to buy a PSU to drive it though as it isn't supplied as standard.

If you don't need / want the pre-amp, buy the PRO-45 version.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Good advice snipped

Thanks for the advice everyone - I now have the kit ready to brave the heights tommorrow (assuming the weather forecast turns out to be right).

Reply to
MDD