AEG washing machine macking racket

Hi all,

Our washing machine (about 3 years old) has started making quite a racket when on. Sounds like somethings up with the drum. What are the most common issues that I can look at before i get an engineer out to fix a relatively simple fault (-:

Cheers

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

It may be that the spring that supports the drum to the casing has come adrift. Further, you could switch off and isolate the machine, turn the drum by hand to determine if a collapsed bearing; you could also remove the drive belt and spin the drum by hand, to attempt finding the cause.

Reply to
John McLean

Probably/possibly the drum bearing(s). Our machine started doing rattly jumbo jet impressions recently. Luckily it was covered and the engineer replaced a large aluminium cross-shaped part with a bearing in it, on the back of the drum. He said it would have cost IRO £100 and was down to calcium leaking onto the bearing and drying it out.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Could have worded that better - the bearing had a build-up of calcium all over it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

could be a trapped bra wire

Reply to
nacional

You can quite easily check for this. If the inner drum can move much relative to the outer drum or there is a knackered bearing rumble if you spin the drum by hand, that's the bearing gone.

Drum mounting as mentioned by John is a definate possibility.

Drum weight coming loose is another.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Drum mountings broken.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could have worded it better, would have been a fire risk it it had a build up of calcium on it.

"It reacts with water, displacing a hydrogen atom from the structure, then forming calcium hydroxide"

More likely had a build up of calcium carbonate.

Ian_m

Not what one expects from a 3 year old AEG.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Are you sure?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:02:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher mused:

Depends how m8uch abuse the machine has had.

Reply to
Lurch

What sort of racket :)

As someone else said, worst thing I've ever heard was a trapped bra wire - it had come out, gone through a hole in the drum (well, nearly right through) and was scraping and banging around the outer whateveritis that the drum spins in.

How heavily's the machine usually loaded - might give you an idea if it's likely to be bearings gone, cos 3 years seems a bit early for that unless it's had a punishing life?

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

Try

Mark

Damn.. just checked and the warranty expired last month. Think theres anything I can do about that....arrgghh. some quotes are starting at

75 quid call out plus parts...
Reply to
Joe

I would write AEG a nice letter. Quite often the quality manufacturers are prepared to bend the rules to maintain their reputation

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi, got an engioneer out for a quote and he said it was the bearings. he mentioned something about the cross shaped thing as well. should cost about =A3120 - are these easy enough to replace. Think i might write AEG a letter first and tell themn the warranty ran out 1 montha go.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

IME, no, far from it!

Think i might

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It didn't *look* that difficult to replace - he only took the back off the machine and it didn't take him long to complete the job. He carried the part so it must be a fairly common failure. Unfortunately I didn't watch the whole job but I imagine there are websites which explain the procedure.

On the other hand, it'll definitely be worth contacting AEG first because they might offer something towards the cost.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot