Advice required on asymetric baths with large shower area at one end

I have a small bathroom of 1.70 x 2.12m and have been exploring the idea of using one of these asymmetric baths with a bulge at the shower end. Like this one:

anyone offer any suggestion on these, are they comfortable and practical?

What other suppliers of these designs are available in the UK?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter

My parents have got an Ideal Standard space saver bath which is the same sort of shape but only 1500 long. It's rubbish for bathing, because it's too short, but the bulbous part is fine for showers, if you haven't got room for a separate one.

The bathstore.com one is 1700 so doesn't suffer the same drawback.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

I've installed an Ideal Standard Space showerbath as well, but mine is the full 1700 long version. Bathing is fine - I'm 5'10" and can stretch out comfortably. The taps are on the outside half way along, like the bathstore model, so you could use it as a double-ended bath. For showering, you get loads of room, though the taps can get in the way of getting in and out. The shower screen is pretty effective, but some water does get past it. The bathstore model seems to have the option of a second screen to form a closed cubicle, and this is well worth considering, though theirs seems to be flat rather than curved (I think MFI and others do a curved rear panel) which could make space a bit tight. Overall, I'd recommend the Ideal Standard bath as a good product if you don't have the space for a separate bath and shower. BTW have a look round a showroom before buying online and pick up a copy of the Ideal Standard Space brochure - unlike most bathroom brochures the photos are taken in normal sized rooms, rather than the palaces you usually see in these glossy mags - it might give some good ideas on using the space more effectively.

-Antony

Reply to
Antony Jones

I looked at this one when we were considering our new bathroom suite and was intially quite keen on it (the price on the site you give is pretty good from my experience, plumbworld, IIRC, also do the bath and screen for a similar price)

The one thing that put us off in the end was the positioning of the taps

The wife wasn't keen on having the taps positioned as in your link due to having three young kids clambering in and out every night and the possiblity of falling on them.

In a few showrooms I've seen the taps positioned at the far corner under what would be the shower. If you then use one of the curved shower screens this essentailly covers the taps up, making access awkward... you virtually need to climb into the bath to turn them on.

An alternative is to wall mount the taps or put them at the head of the bath if there is room.

In the end we just went for a large bath with a good standing area for showering in.

cheers

David

Reply to
David Moodie

The assistant at my local bathstore.com also pointed out the taps being in an awkward position and so I am about to explore the positioning of a single spout in the corner at the shower end on the opposite side to the screen. I can then use remote taps on the wall positioned for better accessibility. I just need to make sure that the bath support metalwork allows access to that area.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

What about using the Extrafill?

Reply to
Neil Jones

You didn't look close enough. A quote from the website "The bath is supplied with no tap holes" - you put them where you want them.

Reply to
Andrew

If you try reading the post, instead of just snipping the information in it, you may well see that I looked at using a number of different tap positions, none of which I was totally happy with.

Reply to
David Moodie

As I mentioned in the other post, you don't have to use taps at all.

Since you're already having a shower, you can add a divertor and an extrafill which will eliminate the taps entirely.

HTH

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Hi Neil

what is an extrafill and do you have any idea of what flow rate it can deliver? I could only find one resaonable link on Google, or anywhre else, to bathstore.com but they don't really have any useful info.

cheers

David

Reply to
dgm

Hi Neil

what is an extrafill and do you have any idea of what flow rate it can deliver? I could only find one resaonable link on Google, or anywhre else, to bathstore.com but they don't really have any useful info.

cheers

David

Reply to
dgm

It is a less expensive clone of Grohe's Talentofill. If you look at that it should give you some idea.

Reply to
Toby

Try reading your own post yourself!

The section I quoted was sufficient and was the only relevant section to my reply.

The original poster referred to a bathstore product to which you replied "I looked at this one ... The one thing that put us off in the end was the positioning of the taps" To me, that means you were referring to the same product as the original poster, to which my reply also refers. You then re-iterate by saying your wife wasn't happy with the tap positions in the same product in the OPs link.

The whole point of my post was that you don't need to be happy with those tap positions (or any of the others you then go on to mention) since the product allows you to fit the taps where you like.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The Extrafill is a combined overflow/waste/filler, so when you run the bath the water comes out of an outlet on the enlarged overflow.

As Toby mentioned, you will get more info on the Grohe product. I don't think there's a massive price difference, so I would expect it to have reasonably similar performance.

Flow rate would probably depend more on the type of mixer/diverter you used, I should think, and also the type of supply (tank fed vs mains pressure.)

I have the equivalent Hansgrohe Exafill in my garage, waiting to be installed in my bathroom. I could report back when it's working, if there's any interest.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

snip

I'm sorry for your lack of understanding, but I had assumed that from my mention of three different tap options you may have been able to interpret that I was aware that the bath did not have a fixed position for the taps and the other options were mentioned as they had also been considered. This information would have been rather superfluous if I had not been aware that the taps could be positioned elsewhere.

Ahhh so you really did manage to read past the first line:-).

If you take the trouble to look at the bath mentioned by the OP then the limitations on where the taps can and cannot be positioned become obvious. If you wish them to be mounted on the bath then there are restrictions on where you can put them... you cannot simply put them where you like.

In hindsight perhaps it was't made absolutely clear that the other options mentioned were actually considered for this bath and that I'm not that keen on any of them either. At the end of the day I supose that if you leave some room for interpretation then there always will be.

cheers

David

Reply to
dgm