Advice re Electric shower please

I realise that this is UK diy, but please bear with me

I need to know how to work out whether the following is viable or not.

My supply in Spain is 15A/3.5KW which can be updraded to 25A/5.7KW.

Do you think it is possible and safe to run an electric shower of around 6KW. If not what size shower could I run and also can you tell me how the figures are found

Many thanks

Reply to
Kas

The figures for the protection are ( fuse or mcb ) are found by dividing the voltage by the power to give a figure in amps.For your 6KW shower a current of

25Amps would flow based on a 240 Volt supply. You would need a larger mcb than 25Amps in the UK showers are generally protected by a 40A mcb.You also need to consider the size of the cable and the length of the cable run.
Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

Is it possible that this is the rating of her main fuse / branch circuit?

If this is the case then a very simple answer is available:

You can't run a 6kW shower on a 5.7kW supply nor, obviously, a 3.5kW supply.

I'd also suspect that even in Spain, 6kW isn't going to make a particularly hot / fast shower.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:23:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Martin Angove strung together this:

I was thinking along these lines but I lost the thread! Now it's back I'll comment on it, ISTR someone else on here mentioning the Spanish electrics only having a 20A supply to the property. I think *any* electric heating is going to be a no-no.

Reply to
Lurch