Advice re bifolds and keylock

we recently had a set of bifolds installed, the quotation stated "Security: internally glazed, key lock facility with top and bottom shootbolt mechanism on each opener". We assumed that meant an actual lock with a key that could open the doors from inside or out. What we got was an internal lever on the inside that activates the bolt mechanism with no way to open the doors or lock them from the outside. The installer says that "key lock" is a term that refers to the mechanism and we are not getting a lock with a physical key.

Grateful for any comments,

thanks

Reply to
Patb

The shootbolt is a device that extends from the surround, either top and bottom or sides to engage in a recess to prevent the door/window from being opened by means other than the lever handle. It obviously can only work from one side if used on a window otherwise you could have a handle on the outside which defeats the purpose of a lock.

We assumed that meant an actual

Are the doors required to be opened from both sides?

Your assumption could have been correct given the description. Ask the manufacturers of the equipment to supply their specifications for the mechanism and also the original order for the doors with an explanation of the parts fitted

Reply to
Robbo

In article , Patb writes

I've never come across a mechanism called a "key lock" that does not involve a key operated lock. I'd be inclined to ask him to show you a page in a catalogue that identified the fitted item as a "key lock", if he can't then you've got a pretty strong case but if you've paid in full then you may have some bother getting it changed.

Reply to
fred

No such thing as a key lock mechanism in the context as the installer implies.

The quoted text says "key lock facility" which implies a facility for locking with a key.

In fact, "security" and lever lock (which is fitted) are two contradictory terms. The one fitted is a cheap and nasty affair from the 1970's, and not for todays homes. But it may be useful if emergency escape is required.

If you don't want this lock, then reject the installation and ask for either the lock to be changed and fitted as per your contract specification, or negotiate a suitable discount.

If he wont budge, then contact trading standards.

dg

Reply to
dg