Advice please-joinery!!

Joinery isnt my speciality.

Further to my recent bathroom post,becuase the bathroom is so small,i thought id arrange for the door to open outwards instead of into the bathroom. Unfortunately the rebated section of the door frame is actually part of the wood,i.e it has been manufactured/routed as part of the door casing so its not just a case of prising off a strip of wood and repositioning it to allw outward opening.

As the walls are of studded/plasterboard construction and the floor is chipboard, I was thinking that i could prise off the architraving around the door casing and cut/remove any nails/fixings that are holding it place,get the door casing out and rotate it and refix it so that the door rebate is now facing outward into the upstairs landing,then refix the door. Does this sound like it'll work ?! Ta

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:17:53 +0000, tarquinlinbin strung together this:

Yep.

Reply to
Lurch

YES.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Should do, and if you do knacker it in the process, a new door lining kit should be no more than 15 quid from a timber yard.

Reply to
John Rumm

The door lining will probably get f***ed doing this as it will probably be well attached to the studding. But a new lining will only cost about £10-15

Reply to
Mike

Simplest would (might) be to trim about half inch of sides and top of door and rehang on the other side, then fill the old rebate with a batten (battens) about one inch thick, forming a new rebate for a now slightly smaller door. If you try and cut it out all will be fooked and you might end up needing new lining door and architraves - not to mention making good the plaster and deco etc. Hope this makes sense am slightly pissed at the mo. What time is it?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

I had considered cutting out the rebate as you say but then what with? It would need to be a neat job as its on show,a jig saw would tend to wander and a circular saw being waved in the air would be a disaster..?

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I think he ment, fill in the old rebate with a bit of wood, and form a new one by sticking on new door stops. No routing, cutting or jigging required ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi,

A planer would do most of it, then a belt sander with the right grades of sanding belt to carefully get it flush with the rest of the frame.

Could well be better to get a quote from a local chippy and have them risk their fingers instead.

If the frame can come out and be reversed easily then that may be a much better way to go.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Exactly - except you'd also have to trim the door to fit the new smaller opening. Easiest way to do it and would look quite neat if done carefully. You could make it an invisible alteration if you re-position the architrave on what was the opening side so that it covers the planted-on rebate filling piece and new stops. This is DIY advice only. Personally I'd do a proper job and turn the whole lot around.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob