Advice on which electric scale inhibitor to use.

You tell me. Perhaps they work OK in Milton Keynes on Tuesdays and on the planet Zog.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is what mine is and it works. Fernox make them too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They don't work either. Magnetic water conditioning does sometimes work in one specific set of conditions - where the magnetic field is very high and the water is continuously circulated through the device. For this reason you will sometimes find them in large industrial recirculation systems (such as heating units) but fitted into the recirculating water path. Where the water passes through only once as in domestic fitting they have no effect.

Nothing like - the permanent magnet fittings do have a modicum of rationality behind them and do work a bit albeit not in houses. The electronic sort produce a truly feeble magnetic field and are pure snake oil. The manufacturers make fanciful explanations of "excited water" and "critical modulations" to sell them. They don't work at all and there is no credible scientific theory to say why they ever could.

In a domestic setting - that is correct.

see

I guess the word inhibitor rather than preventor is key. It only helps

They don't do anything at all.

I've seen demonstrations where rabbits were pulled out of top hats. If I were to buy a top hat I doubt if it will give me an endless supply of rabbits.

You could try using Rain-X on them weekly and cleaning them after each use. You could get an ion exchange water softener which would reduce the need for the above. However, nothing will eliminate water marks entirely. Even ion exchange softeners, which convert insoluble calcium compounds to water soluble sodium compounds will mark if the water is left to evaporate on the glass.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Having them on the inlet to a combi is well worth doing and observing the results. By the time it reverts to its natural state the water should have been flushed or cleaned away. I also have a phosphor canister doser too. This is the same. In the shower, if Showershine is used after each shower and the shower washed down frequently, as it should , then no scale appears as surface water dries.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I don't know about those places, but it works in London.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Surely that's to keep ferrous particles out of the boiler/pump, and nothing to do with limescale?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Actually they found it worked less effectively than an ion exchange unit. It is also not a magnetic gizmo but an electrolysis unit.

Of the magnetic and electronic devices tested none worked.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Ah, sorry, when you said yours was made by AquaDial I looked them up and assumed you had one of these...

Guy King

These domestic units are scientifically unsound, in my opinion.

magnetic field applied around a copper pipe results in zero fiel within the copper pipe and how it is supposed to align molecules o non-magnetic material in fast moving water within the pipe, where ther is little or no effective field is a mystery. If you were to heat th water, any magnetic effect on the calcium component of the water wil be nullified, so really this way of treating water would seem to me t be a complete WOT. As time passes, hope dies and often the will to as for a refund with it, which is what the manufacturers want. I have no seen any independently validated report that magnetic wate conditioning works, any more than homeopathy which simply keeps hop alive. I sent my scalewatcher back to the manufacturers.

As other contributors have said, if you want to prevent (and eve dissolve) scale, soften the water and save on shampoos, soap an detergents, and you like to luxuriate in soft water baths and showers then you need an ion exchange water softener (salt based). It is chal and cheese and esp helpful if you have a dry irritable skin. M aquadial prismertec 1000i is currently doing a good job, well worth th investment.

Don't waste your money on ineffective water treatment gizmos!

Jknotten

Peter Parry Wrote:

Reply to
jknotten