Advice on which electric scale inhibitor to use.

I need to purchase a electric scale inhibitor.

They seem to range in price, from =A335 at toolstation to over =A375 for those advertised on TV.

I can only assume they have different power outputs as a reason for the price differences.

Can anyone recomend a fair price unit that will work. I'd rather spend money on one that works that on a cheap ones that does sweet FA.

Reply to
andysideas

Don't

More a case of what they they think they can sell them for.

No.

In that case buy something that does the job properly.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The difference in price depends on the type of snake they use for the oil :-)

£45 'Permutit' phosphor dosing from B&Q, and clean any salt deposists off the adapter connector when you change the cartridge.
Reply to
John Stumbles

They seem to range in price, from £35 at toolstation to over £75 for those advertised on TV.

I can only assume they have different power outputs as a reason for the price differences.

Can anyone recomend a fair price unit that will work. I'd rather spend money on one that works that on a cheap ones that does sweet FA.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And us a paper clip to poke out the venturi holes too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, you really don't.

You can assume whatever you want, but it is incorrect.

Reply to
Grunff

I suggest you don't.

They have various, mainly cosmetic, differences and varying wildly inaccurate descriptions of how they are supposed to work. None of these affect their complete lack of effectiveness.

Not really as none of them work. If you really want to convince yourself buy the cheapest which doesn't require installation and comes with a 12 month "money back" guarantee. Get it from a major retailer - somewhere like Homebase - and get it in writing that you can have a full refund when you find it is useless. Make a careful note of the convoluted terms of the guarantee and mark on the calendar when you must return it. The marketing of these devices relies upon people forgetting to claim their money back months after buying them and finding they don't work.

Reply to
Peter Parry

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" saying something like:

Give me 75 quid and I'll perform a service for you which will do as much to keep your pipes scale-free as one of those things.

The service? Oh, that consists of doing absolutely f*ck all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" contains these words:

Why? What /genuine/ evidence do you have that they work?

Reply to
Guy King

No you don't.

I'll do you a really effective one for £80. Would you like my Paypal account details?

It's purely determined by what the marketers of them think that the intended audience will pay.

One other tactic is to offer a money back guarantee and to price them at a point where most people won't bother to return them.

They all do sweet FA, so it doesn't make any difference.

If you are trying to address scaling, then a phosphor dosing system like a Combimate will do the job.

If you want to also soften the water and save on shampoos and detergents, then you need an ion exchange water softener.

Reply to
Andy Hall

While I agree that these devices don't work (my parents had one fitted some years back), how do the manufacturers then get away with selling them?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

He does. He said so.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I suggest he does and you talk crap most of the time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Many appliance makers recommend them. So for them not working. I have one and it works.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, he does.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ah..... so it depends on *who* you are.

Of course. So obvious.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall saying something like:

His elephant scarer works too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Matt, have you been at the sherry again?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Never fails. The scale just drops off as well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Elephants don't have scales.

Reply to