Advice on Wet/Dry Vacuum

I often have problems with a Numatic Henry vacuum cleaner when wet or damp debris weaken and perforate the paper filter bags. I see some cleaners described as Wet or Dry, but from the descriptions they appear to be dual purpose to work with paper filter bags to pick up dry solids or work with a float switch to pick up liquids. I can not see whether there is any filtering in that wet mode. Can someone advise on a suitable cleaner for collecting wet and damp solids such as garden debris of leaves and twigs.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Henry's big brother George is a true wet cleaner and shampoo machine as well as being a dry vac

For gardening applications

TMC

Is appears that the George, in wet configuration, has no dust filtering whatever and that would be a problem.

Maybe something with a cyclone separator such as a Dyson canister would fit. Do you know whether those can cope with small quantities of liquids?

look fine for dry and damp solids but maybe not for very wet solids or liquids.

A different Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

> Those look fine for dry and damp solids but maybe not for very wet solids > or liquids.

I have used my George for years in dry mode without dust bags and never had a problem

I have also cleaned up all sorts in wet mode similarly without a dust problem

As you are working out of doors why would a lack of dust filtration be an issue/

Dust filtration on domestic dry machines is not up to commercial standards anyway, which is why I use a Sebo for normal vacuuming in the house

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I have a Wickes (there is an identical Earlex). In a recent thread several other people rated them. I use a Henry for finer dust, but the Wickes (without a bag) for coarser dry stuff, and for wet. The Wickes used to come with a simple foam filter but it's not very efficient. It's fine with a proper cartridge filter. I don't bother with a filter for wet use, you can use them but if you have been picking up cement or plaster or filler they will "set",

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks Tony. That's a useful data point. I guess the Charles is similar to the George but without the carpet shampoo device and I see Numatic does a version of that size with a transparent container (the WVT370-2) which looks interesting as with that unit I'll know a bag has burst earlier on.

It's for use inside a garage and also around a patio area.

The lack of filter must be punishing on the motor as I understand they pull the same air through the motor for ventilation and cooling - as well as it being not too good to breath.

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Thanks. I'll check out this Wickes/Earlex. The fact that one cartridge will filter solids and survive wetness sounds exactly what I'm seeking.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

In the same thread somebody gave a link to a universal filter (the cartridge one you mention, presumably), available from TLC

David

Reply to
Lobster

Damage to the filter is the least of your worries. A 'dry' vac like Henry has a direct cooled motor, so any moist air is blown over the (live) motor windings. Worst case scenario - large bang. Best case scenario - badly corroded motor.

Exactly, but they also have a by pass cooled motor - moist air is directed away from the motor, which has a sepatate cooling fan.

None, but in wet/damp conditions there isn't any dust, so no filter is needed.

A garden blower vac like this

normal vac is completely the wrong tool for the job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

just try a cloth filter instead of paper.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have the Earlex, from some non-Wickes shed or other (probably Machine Mart).

As supplied, it's a "wet and dry" and very cheap, but they only supply a brown paper bag filter. To use it wet, or recommended for use anyway, you'll also need the upgraded washable foam filter. Sadly the cost of this, and a fat hose too, is about the same price as the bare cleaner. Still a good deal though - I've had several years out of it now, running long hours driving a workshop dust collection cyclone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You don't need to use a bag with a Henry. It's not the right tool for wet stuff, but used without a bag is more resilient to slight dampness.

auctions

The wet & dry filter is corrugated material like a car air filter, not foam, and costs £10 (from Wickes, last time I bought one). I use the standard hose whic is OK though a wider one would be nice.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Apparently there are both types:

've decided to go for a pleated one which comes with the appliance from Argos:
the foam one fit around the pleated one or is it an alternative?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

The foam one is meant to be used with a paper filter bag mounted over it.

I've been using the permanent wet/dry filter (the pleated one) for a while now and it works really well. If it gets clogged, I just wash it out and leave it to dry.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

types:

>>> I've decided to go for a pleated one which comes with the appliance >> from

Oh no it isn't :-)

At least not in my experience. They foam acts as a prefilter to keep dust away from the pleated one surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

types:

Oh yes it is!

I dumped the foam one when I bought the pleated filter; I'm sure the box it came in would have made that clear (although I have to say I can't specifically remember.

Certainly the sucking performance went up dramatically when I fitted the pleated one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

When I got my vac it had a brown paper bag filter for dry work and the foam filter for wet work. You used one or the other - or used neither but got the pleated wet/dry one instead.

Reply to
John Stumbles

They sell a pleated (not corrugated) paper filter, but that didn't convince me as to its usefulness when wet, so I bought the "heavy duty" foam one they offered instead -- about £16, AFAIR. I've washed it under the tap several times.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's OK wet - I regularly wash mine out when it gets full of dust

The foam one that came with mine could no way be described as heavy duty - it tore when I tried to pull it off for about the second time! Sounds like you've got something better there: where did you get it?

Reply to
John Stumbles