Advice on semi-outdoor surface?

We have an outdoor laundry room - a small square hut not much bigger than the size of the washing machine. It has two walls with windows and a door (it's attached to the side of the house) but it isn't exactly sealed from the elements, so while rain doesn't directly come in, it gets cold and damp when it's cold and damp outside!
I'm about to put a shelf in above the washing machine so I can put a tumble dryer on it. I'm using 50mm thick batons as a rail underneath it to support the shelf. However I don't know what material to use for the shelf. A dryer weighs about 25kg I think so I need to allow for 40-50kg for when wet clothes are in it/it's being leant on. I was originally thinking of using kitchen worktop cut down to size as it would look nice and be a durable surface. Plus it's about 40-50mm thick which should stop it bending or warping. However I'm not sure how it would survive in semi-outdoor conditions.
My other choice would be marine-ply. I'm not sure how thick I can get it or how much it would cost in comparison (I know it's an expensive option compared to normal ply, but it may be irrelevant on such a small piece). Also, I'm not sure how well suited it is for taking a constant load. My experience with plywood is that it warps easily - but then I may have just being overloading it!
Any advice?

damp
tumble
support
wet
or
I used a piece of super quality ply with loads of thin plys about three quarter thick for my tumbledryer shelf. It came from a thrown out bed-end. I think ordinary ply would bend easily. You could always put an edging on whatever you use, that is the way a pro would do it.
MrCheerful

bed-end.
Don't have any thrown out bed-ends spare though ;) I'm not too worried about the look - as you say I could edge it or just shape & sand the end then paint it.
Another idea - I have a load of 18mm thick MDF sitting around. How about bonding two sheets of that together with No More Nails, then priming & painting (outdoor weathersheild) it? I still like the idea of the kitchen top as it looks great and should be strong. Just dunno how well suited to a moist environment it would be (kitchen's are usually pretty moist mind you ..)?
al wrote:

Pressure treated 4x2, use ~6 of them spanning your batons. Very cheap and easy. For nice appearance, get planed rounded 4x2, as used in outdoor softwood furniture. Last time I bought some it was just over 1 per metre.
--
Grunff

I've just screwed in three 31cm long batons - one for each side. There are two metal shelf supports already at the back that I'm utilising and I think I'll get two more to put under just at the very front for extra piece of mind! It's not a great surface that I'm screwing into so I've used No More Nails behind the batons on the bare wood (nice & porous). Will prime & paint (weathersheild) it thoroughly later to stop 'em rotting.

than
tumble
Attaching the dryer to the washer is also an option, though I'd prefer the shelf.

when wet

I'd allow far more. People may climb on it, you dont want it sagging etc, and thicker wood is only a few quid more. If using 2x2s I'd use several. The framing is where a lot of your strength will come from.

durable
or
its chip based, and chip cant handle water.

get it or

piece).
I'd choose that or oiled pine.

My

just
Like any wood.

6x 2x4s would support an army. Cetrainly would look solid! House floors are supported on 2x4s in some old properties. You dont actually need the sheet material at all if you have several chunky cross members, and the machine sits on them such that it cant fall. 1.5x2.5 is hefty enough, looks good, comes planed with rounded corners, and is remarkably cheap.
Regards, NT

I used floorboards glued together. Cut off a tongue and tidy up the edge to make a pretty front.