Advice on root boring tool

I need to keep a large tree root clear of a sliding gate and am looking for a tool to help. The limited access means that a reciprocating saw is not easy to use in this location and I'm asking if anyone has a suggestion on a tool that will attack the root end-on. The flat wood boring tools with a pilot in the middle that fit electric drills would wander

anyone suggest a wood tool that works more like a metalwork milling tool?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

more appropriate:

Alan Braggins

Stump grinder. Costs thousands, but you can hire them.

Otherwise a mattock, and sharpening its edge (ObAngleGrinder) beforehand. You can also drill with a spade bit or auger, then use this access hole to burn them out.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

One method that I've used where access is difficult is to use an ordinary twist drill intended for metal to make multiple holes in the root. The drill can be rocked on an axis perpendicular to that of it's rotation to join adjacent holes as much as space permits and generally weaken the root.

A good old fashoned crowbar with a reasonably sharp chisel end can then be used with long stabbing strokes to further sever the root and then used as a lever in the usual way.

Djornsk

An SDS drill fitted with a chisel bit eats leylandii roots for breakfast. (in hammer mode with the rotary motion turned off)

Something like

The Other Mike

An auger could make lots of 1" wide holes.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Felling axe?

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for all those ideas. The multi-£grand machine is OTT for me and the suggestion to use large metal drill bit idea came closest to what I had in mind. I just found a reference to this tool and may give it a try:

Anthony R. Gold

Think I'd stick with the auger.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

> or

Yes, worked well enough for me. The bits tend to bounce off the softer roots but they get through in the end.

Reply to
stuart noble