Advice on replacing a window

I currently have a massive single paned window approx 3.5 m by 1 m in

brick built extension to my house. It is actually three windows, tw small ones at each side of approx 0.5 m wide and a massive one in th middle.

As it makes the room quite cold and is a bit of a security risk, w want to update it to either a double glazed window or maybe even pati doors which would lead out to my garden.

Is there anyone out there that could answer me the following question :

1) Do we need planning permissions or building warrants for any ne windows or patio doors (the latter would require us to have 2 - 3 step built outside as well)?

2) If we went for a window, I presume as the space is so big it woul have to be along the lines of the current layout ie 2 small windows an one big one in the middle? Is this possible with double glazing? Mos d-g windows I have seen are just one individual window.

3) How much would I expect to pay to have it replaced with d-g window in this way?

4) Would getting patio doors be a much more expensive option (as ther would be more building work to form the hole required fopr them an then fill in at the sides etc)?

Thanks for any advice - I know I should be getting a d-g salesman ou to quote etc but I'm a bit wary of doing this before I have at least wee bit of an idea what I want.

Thnaks again

-- Grahammazy

Reply to
Grahammazy

"Grahammazy" wrote | ... update it to either a double glazed window or maybe even | patio doors which would lead out to my garden.... | 1) Do we need planning permissions or building warrants for any new | windows or patio doors (the latter would require us to have 2 - 3 steps | built outside as well)?

You probably do not need planning permission, unless you are in a conservation area etc. or the window is on a boundary. It might be wise to get written confirmation from the council that PP is not required, in case of query later.

For replacement windows, you either have to have the work done by a FENSA certified contractor, or DIY or use an unregistered contractor, and get a building warrant.

For changing to a door, you will require building warrant.

| 2) If we went for a window, I presume as the space is so big it would | have to be along the lines of the current layout ie 2 small windows and | one big one in the middle? Is this possible with double glazing? Most | d-g windows I have seen are just one individual window.

Depends on the structural arrangement. It might be possible to move the 'mullions' and have three more-equal sized windows. Big windows will be disproportionately more expensive because they are awkward to make and install.

| 4) Would getting patio doors be a much more expensive option (as there | would be more building work to form the hole required fopr them and | then fill in at the sides etc)?

The more work is done, the more the cost, but patio doors might increase the value of your property if they improve access to the garden.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for all the information mate - will probably go with replacemen

windows as we are working to a tight budget and already have a bac door which gives good access out the back.

Just one further clarification :

'For replacement windows, you either have to have the work done by FENSA certified contractor, or DIY or use an unregistered contractor, and ge a building warrant'

Does this mean all window replacements need a building warrant or onl those done DIY or by an unregistered contractor ie if we seek out an use a FENSA certified contractor does that do away with the requiremen of a building warrant?

As we already have a window of the same size / in same position I can' see why planning permission would be an issue at all but will check fo my own peace of mind

-- Grahammazy

Reply to
Grahammazy

AIUI, whatever happens you need to end up with a bit of paper certifying that your new window meets the latest building regs. A FENSA certified contractor can issue this bit of paper. Otherwise, you have to pay a fee and get it inspected by a BCO from the local council.

You shouldn't need planning permission unless the appearance of the new window is substantially different from the old one or unless it is a Listed Building.

Reply to
Set Square

Nah, the Fensa approved installer ( I dont think any cetification is involved) is *supposed* to send off details of the instalation to Fensa and they issue the certificate. This certificate which can take several months to arrive, has no indication of which windows were replaced just the date it was done. These instalations are subject to random inspections by Fensa so if your installer is especialy ashamed of his shoddy workmanship on your windows he may never even submit details to Fensa so you will be in a "its lost in the post" situation.

When you sell the buyers solicitor just asks for proof of Fensa compliance not the certificate so a photocopy of an invoice with a Fensa number on it would do or just say the windows were installed before the Fensa regs came in.

Reply to
Zip 1

I'd ignore the stupid regulations and just get someone to do it. You are only up-rating an existing window not installing new - even if up-rating involves replacing all of it. Any future buyers are unlikely to be bothered in the slightest as long as it is a reasonable working window and not a conspicuous bodge. Talk to several joiners and see what they say - avoid DG salesmen who are all cowboys. As for the design the possibilities are endless - you can have what you like as long as it is practical.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Thanks everybody for your help here - will get a couple of quotes an

take it from there.

Thanks again

-- Grahammazy

Reply to