Advice on removing smoke smell from electrical equipment

My wife purchased a digibox from Ebay which arrived yesterday and although it works perfectly, the box, leads and remote absolutely reek of smoke. Although it looks clean, you can actually feel a slightly sticky deposit on everything.

I've had a look on Google and one of the suggestions was to put a bowl of vinegar next to it. We have tried this and it has taken quite a bit of the aroma away but we are still left with the fact that everything still has that slightly sticky feel.

Does anyone know who to completely eradicate the smell and get rid of the stickiness?

I know there are quite a few sprays etc on the market but I am wary to do that as it is electrical equipment.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Reply to
Michael Chappell

You don't really need to worry about the electrical side as long as you don't slosh any fluid over the thing, but be more wary about anything you use attacking the plastic of the case etc.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Try the glasses cleaning spray from Specsavers, it degreases. Or you can try furniture polish or disinfectant. Most things will do it. I agree it's quite revolting to have something from a smoker. You can buy a new digi box from Argos for £34-99 with a 1 year guarantee. Made by Wharfedale and it has a channel display and L&R audio outputs, twin scarts and 7 day EPG.

Reply to
simon

(or

Mogweed

Foam cleanser such as that sold for cleaning computer screens, keyboards and so on is very effective. Don't apply it while the digibox is switched on, and if you're worried about getting too much in ventilation slots, spray it on to a duster and apply that to the plastic.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Methylated spirits and a good rub down.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The owner or the digibox?

Reply to
John

Wipe the box and leads with dilute washing powder/liquid. Keep the cloth only slightly damp, by wringing out as dry as you can and then put the box in a draughty, dry place to air off.

Drive past any used cars sales pitch and you will see the same fresh air technique every day. They come in, in the morning and open either the hatch back door, or some/all of the windows, depending on the weather. Fresh air will remove any smell and it doesn't take long.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Remember to leave appropriate feedback:

"Item arrived in good condition and with free tobacco smoke"

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Sounds like my kind of party.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Are you not able to completely remove the outer cover and simply wash that? Worked when I had to degunk a few second-hand keyboards. Simply removed the electronics part and chucked the rest into a sink of warm soapy water. Simply air dry, or a hairdryer if you're impatient and put it back together again.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

And for heavens sake "DO NOT" put it in the washing machine, you'll damage the drum.

Reply to
p.mc

no need to disassemble first, just make sure they dry out fully.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oooh Matron!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Did anyone see "Fantabulosa" on BBC 4 last week?

It was, well, bona.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I thought it rather sad, actually. He (Kenny) never seemed to find 'love' of any description.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hehe.

Funnily enough my wife has bought many things from Ebay and she usually asks whether they come from a smoke free house (usually toys etc) but she didn't think to ask with regards to electrical equipment.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Chappell

Good idea.

Unfortunately, I've looked at the units and they are sealed pretty well without any means of getting in to them without damaging the casings

Michael

Reply to
Michael Chappell

Having cleaned it with a damp rag, put it in sunlight with a fan blowing on it for a few hours.

Reply to
Nick

How are the casings sealed? I would have thought that the usual way of fixing these casings together and to the electronics would be screws which can be easily removed. Maybe there is a rubber stud (perhaps doubling as a foot) covering each screw which needs to be removed before you can access them.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox