Advice on re-building outhouses

Hi

On my property I have 3 outhouse rooms which are joined in a continuous line with a flat contrete roof thatjoins onto the house. We knocked one wall though between two outhouse rooms, took out the old toilet and put some wiring in to make a nice utility room for the dryer, washer and freezer.

I'm thinking of thaking the whole lot down and having it rebuilt to join properly onto the house and to have a pitched roof.

Would I need to get the council involved for planning permission? and how much (very roughly if anyone has done similar) would it cost to pay someone (tima and materials) with a total area of about 3x5m sq?

Thanks for any advice on the above and any tips or pitfalls.

I love this group!

Reply to
tommo45

He he, sounds familier, my house is like that. On the back of the kitchen was the pantry (half-width with an ouside lobby next to it), then a wash-house, then an outside toilet and coal store. There was a flat concrete roof that joins the house, which originally had a water tank on top. When I arrived, the tank had been removed and a lean-to style glass roof joined the outside lobby and panty into the kitchen (done years before). I am about to knock all this down and build a pitched roof sloping down across the back of the house to give a larger kitchen/diner area approx

4m x 5m. The old area is damp and how often do you use an outside loo ? We will be putting in a new loo downstairs however - to only have 1 loo would devalue the house compared to others nearby. I did not need planning permission as it was inside the "permitted development" allowance. But I did my own drawing for building regulations approval. And I needed permission from the water authority since I was building near a public sewer. I'm doing most of the building myself, so not sure about the costs. How to proceed largely depends on your knowledge and skills. If you get an architect (or architectural technician is cheaper) make sure they are local and used to doing similar houses - they will be used to whats around and used to dealing with the local council so things will go smoother. I did not have one in the end, but the local chap I talked to had a lot of experience - he was just doing another house down the road. Cheers, Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Why not just build walls connecting the outbuildings to the house? - you could also put on a pitched roof at the same time.

It would effectively be a house extension, therefore expect to pay approx £1000 per m2 including the width of the outside walls, so 3.3 X 5.3 = not much change out of seventeen and half grand....this won't include the cost of demolition of the existing structure.

A pitched roof could be added for probably less than a £1000, although you would need a peak to be built somewhere unless you have it hipped all round, bricking a few passage / door ways up: £500 and say another £700 for a proper wiring job and some plastering if the building is double skinned, probably decorative PVC-faced fibreglass sheets if it isn't.

Reply to
Phil L

It depends entirely on what standard you do it to. For materials anything from a few hundred to 20 grand.

NT

Reply to
meow2222