Advice on making contiboard cabinets

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Got a part number for those Stuart? Been looking for a solution to that problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd forgotten they're listed as "carcass screws"

Stuart Noble

I've got one of these

and it seems to work quite well.

First you use the jig to drill the holes in the end grain. You fit dowels into those holes, and then lay the boards on top of each other. You position the jig over the dowels you've just fitted, and then use it to drill the holes in the mating piece - which end up in exactly the right place.

It pays to experiment a bit in order to refine the technique!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'll give them a try. What like are they on 18mm MDF? Do they cause the edge to bulge?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I always pilot drill mdf. A bit too dense for any screw I would think.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Indeed Dave. We both know biscuits don't make much sense when joining any material with a close kinship to weatabix either! My comment on accuracy was made having personally mitre biscuit jointed much more homogenious material. Anything less than precision looks 'orrid.

Reply to
gunsmith

Weatabix Wood - love it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One other dowel jointing kit system...

-

a google for many others, some are alloy, some are steel.

There are videos on the websites to evaluate or at least see if dowel jointing will provide a viable solution. Accuracy is everything re dowel jointing if you want perfect jointed edges.

Reply to
js.b1

A bit on the pricey side but then precision tools are never cheap.

Anyone got one, tried one, pros / cons.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

The same way you will seal the cut edges on the contiboard.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Wouldn't be any visible cut edges, would there?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't think it has anything to do with visibility.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q